World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 1st March 2006, 03:49 PM

Default Cartridge decoupling plate

Can anyone direct me to the correct thread on the old WAD b/b.

By chance in Lidls I bought some new wine coasters (I'm happy with the old cork ones but her indoors is'nt).

They are a plate of stainless steel approx. 0.75mm very well bonded onto 2.5mm of a mid density foam backing, which I feel will be an excellant experimental medium to make a decoupling cartridge plate.

For the life of me I can't understand why this mod was not more popular. If the cartridge is very well decoupled from the tonearm it makes the importance of the arm insignificant, as long as it tracks OK.

I intend to try them three ways - conventionally, ie. metal topsides and metal on the bottom and to bond another metal plate to create a sandwich. This will allow secure fixing of the decoupler and secure fixing of the cartridge to decoupler.

If anyone would like me to mail a complete coaster, just pay me the postage and then cut it so that many can try, I would imagine that at least 9 decouplers could be cut from a single coaster.

I may well try them as equipment supports as well, just as they are. As wine coasters they are a steal @E3.99 for 6.

Black Stuart
Old 1st March 2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Cartridge decoupling plate

Stuart
heres Gerry pictures

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/al...r=ASC&start=20

Rob
Old 1st March 2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks Rob,
these coasters look to be a better bet.

Black Stuart
Old 1st March 2006, 05:11 PM
Lord.

Arrow Re: Cartridge decoupling plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart
Can anyone direct me to the correct thread on the old WAD b/b.
Yes.

-> http://www.worldaudiodesign.com/foru...ad.php?t=20301

Old 1st March 2006, 06:07 PM

Thanks Matt.

Black Stuart
Old 1st March 2006, 08:14 PM

Stuart

Will be very interested in the out come of your "coasters". I thought of something like that but could only find plastic ones.
Regards
Gerry
Old 1st March 2006, 09:32 PM

Gerry,
Buddam's been in touch and it is likely I will be sending a whole one to him. When the idea first came to me in the store, I thought what a shame the metal is'nt aluminium but alu. that thin would easily deform with over tightening. I say the coasters are backed with foam but it is much denser than that. I have tried to pull it away from the back but whatever adhesive has been used is bl#~#y good.

The reason I am thinking about a 'sandwich' is that then maybe the cartridge would'nt have to be glued to the backing - that worries me a bit. As you found, the effect on sound quality should be excellant. Within reason it should'nt matter how much vibration is in the arm if the cartridge is properly decoupled. I doubt if anyone would need a whole coaster. If you live near a Lidls check there first but in my experience, The UK is a few weeks ahead of Spain. Whatever I'll make sure that anyone who wants to try, shan't be deprived of the material.

Black Stuart
Old 1st March 2006, 10:33 PM

A technical Q on this. Gerry araldited 2 nuts to the plate, but that seems unneccessary as you only need guide holes. Am I missing something. Did Gerry screw the cart. screws right through his plate and on up to the headshell?

Adrian
Old 1st March 2006, 11:06 PM

Adrian
I glued the isolater on the cartridge and used the nuts which I glued on the plate as the mounting....made things easier for adjustment as the cartirdges I use are the non theaded type, so it also reduced the chances of dramaging the bodies by over tightening.

regards
Gerry
Old 1st March 2006, 11:16 PM

Adrian,
the decoupling comes about when the screws don't interface with the cartridge body. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to try the 'sandwich' route, simpler is nearly always better. I think it comes down to finding a first class adhesive for the bond between backing and cartridge body. It would be nice to do away with the screws altogether but impossible because of changing cartridges and the nec. to angle for alignment. I have used some brass screws for something else and may try to get some more rather than use steel ones.

Black Stuart