World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 4th July 2011, 04:05 PM

Thumbs up A new arrival

Hello World Designs forum. Just to prove that not all new members are too shy here is my first post!

I have been interested in hi fi since my teens (sometime ago now) and have built the odd item over the years (headphone amplifiers, a WAD K5881 amplifier, modified SNAPS for use with Walman Pro then headphone amp) including very recently (finished testing last week) a WD Phono3 and PSU. I have to say that it has been very enjoyable building it and I now have an all valve signal chain for my LP12/Ittok/Troika. As the Phono3 settles in I have to say it is as good if not better than anything else I've heard at the price and I don't miss my Naim NAC82 and internal phono boards. In place is a passive pre and the K5881. The sale of my Naim kit came after my NAP250 went away for repair and I used the K5881 for the first time in anger (i.e. with worthy speakers) for many years. It does many things very well and I can live without the bottom end grunt most of the time. Just occassionally....

I shall be posting details of the build and testing experiences elsewhere on the forum.

Finally for now; I am looking at ways to enter the hi fi industry to mix work and pleasure for a change - I hope to say more on this in the future.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here.
Old 4th July 2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A new arrival

Hi Freddie
Welcome to the forum
We will look forward to seeing more details of your builds and your thought on its sound

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 4th July 2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Freddie,
As Colin says you are most welcome here.
We are always interested in members experiences with WD kits as feedback will often help others to solve minor niggles/problems.

John
Old 5th July 2011, 07:23 AM

Hello Freddie, and welcome to world designs, I am glad to see that I am not the only LP12 fan on the forum , you now have a very good phono stage with many possible tweeks, if you get the chance to have listern to the PRE 3 in your system, do so, I think you will be amased BOB
Old 5th July 2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Matthew was quite right to encourage me to join and I know both he & John are ready for my comments on the build having discussed them with them already.

Bob - I have considered the Pre3 but the K5881 Mk II is so sensitive the last thing I need is gain. The Phono3 works well into a passive pre (which I build and is very simple, pot, switch & sockets).

As an aside, my given name is Ian but that proved to be one syllable too many for my father (so he claims) and the monosyllabic nickname Fred stuck until it was lengthened to Freddie.

F