World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 17th January 2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default Stylus wear

Hi all,

How do you know the stylus is worn and needs changing?
What first indications do you notice?
Or do you keep a note and swap it after so many hours?
Or does it never wear out?

It might seems a novice question but in the 70's and 80's I never wore one out. There was always a new one coming out and being tried every few months, Shures, Ortofons, AKG, Grados etc etc. The 90's was all CD and it's only the last 6 or 7 years I've been back playing records.

Anyway, this one's 5 years old and within the space of a few months maybe (since last playing these 2 records) it has started mis-tracking on the strong sibilant vocals on the inner tracks of both albums with a splitch coming out the right speaker. Previously I always used to marvel at how well it handled them without any distortion. Does that sound like stylus wear to you?

Nothing's changed in the set up but I got thinking and there must be 1000 hours or so on it by now. For instance, I've bought 300 second-hand LP's, cleaned them all, and test played them all using this cart apart from regular listening of a few hours a week, 4 hours a week average for 5 years would be 1000 hours.

So I'll put the new cart in later but it just set me thinking how you guys monitor it?
Old 17th January 2014, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Stylus wear

I have never worn one right out, I normally f**k them up long before that mistracking could be many things like not enough weight, too much bias, poor arm bearings, **** records, the list is endless, just for the record ( no pun intended ) I do not use any bias on my arm and all is well, apart from the operators meddling fingers . BOB
Old 17th January 2014, 05:52 PM
WD Archivist

Some dealers offer an inspection service. They should use an appropriate microscope. Do you have suitable macro on your camera? If you send it to Dominic at North West Analogue, he offers a re-tipping service or upgraded cantilever if you wish. He will also check the overall health of the cartridge. Dom's a lovely bloke and is really Helpful.

http://www.northwestanalogue.com
Old 17th January 2014, 06:21 PM

Hi Richard,

When I hear sibilance, I always take that as a clear indication that it is time to invest in a new cartridge.

jda99
Old 17th January 2014, 08:12 PM

Hi Richard,

Are you sure the stylus is clean ? it is not always an obvious big ball of fluff. You can get encrusted "crud" on the stylus that is only really visible to more mature eyes with a decent magnifying glass.(I use one) I have a bottle of Nagaoka stylus cleaner that I use from time to time that works quite well.

Also, I may be worth re-checking the arm setup just to be sure. Some years ago my deck was sounding crappy and I found that somehow the counterweight lock screw had come loose and the arm was tracking at about 1/2 a gram. I had not touched the adjustments for ages.

Phil.
Old 17th January 2014, 09:26 PM
WD Archivist

Phil's comment on stylus cleanliness is good. I completely concur. I use an Audio-Technica AT637 ultrasonic vibration cleaner which works brilliantly although I believe these are no longer available but do pop up occasionally on eBay.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Some dealers offer an inspection service. They should use an appropriate microscope. Do you have suitable macro on your camera? If you send it to Dominic at North West Analogue, he offers a re-tipping service or upgraded cantilever if you wish. He will also check the overall health of the cartridge. Dom's a lovely bloke and is really Helpful.

http://www.northwestanalogue.com
I can totally concur with that Greg.
I had a conversation with Dom and Natalie yesterday and I will be dropping my well used Ortofon Rondo Blue off with them to have some magic worked on it.
It will actually work out cheaper than buying an exchange cartridge and there's every chance I will have something better than I had before.

I generally tend to notice a gradual "Fall off" in performance with the sound becoming duller but with the sibilants starting to sound a bit splashy.
That said, try a good clean and then realign everything, and clean your plugs and sockets. Sometimes a service can produce good results.
Sorry if I am telling granny how to suck an egg.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.

Yes checked setting up and I use a little carbon fibre brush on the sylus but I'm not sure it would remove hardened deposits if there are any. Does anyone use the green stuff abrasive paper?

Didn't get around to swapping it out last week (DL160 and I have another as spare bought when they were still cheap) but will do so as it's certainly done some work the last 5 years so I'm not complaining. I guess swapping it out now will be the way to tell if it's the cause of the mis-tracking.

I'll need another spare then but it's not an expensive cart so I'm not sure it would be cost effective to have it re-tipped. How much does Dom charge?
Old 20th January 2014, 02:42 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'll need another spare then but it's not an expensive cart so I'm not sure it would be cost effective to have it re-tipped. How much does Dom charge?
It's worth giving Dom a call to discuss what he can offer you. The price will depend on what you decide to have done. He does have a reputation for taking a budget cartridge, upgrading the stylus and cantilever and turning it into a giant killer
Old 20th January 2014, 03:42 PM

I wouldn't risk my cartridge with a bit of emery paper, diamond may be the hardest naturally occurring substance but I would be loth to risk a valuable stylus tip. I did use that green stuff back in the 80's when it was free from your local friendly Linn dealer but got wary of it. I use a vibrating ortofon stylus cleaner now and occasionally put a drop of Stylus cleaner on it to loosen any hardened gunge. Only a drop mind you to avoid it being drawn up into the coils and magnets.
You say you have an unused spare of the same flavour? That's the obvious thing to do. Let your ears do the deciding.