World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 31st August 2009, 05:15 PM
RoryC

Default HEYBROOK HB3 tweeter replacement?

Hi, occasional poster here, so g'day to all again..

Ive just acquired some orig HB3's, & want to stick a better tweeter in (the seas 19mm is a basic placcy dome affair you see afaict/hear). Now, Wilmslow said 'yes our morel (25mm silk dome) cat 298 is a drop-in, no tweaks needed' (94mm plate one's too). Talking over on Pinkfishmedia some have raised eyebrows at this suggestion, poss it being a bigger 25mm, suggesting the similar-looking but textile seas 19TFF1 as perhaps the better idea..

So my Q's are
1) of opinion here on the morel 25mm drop-in idea
2) of the seas 19TFF1 idea.. or indeed
3) any other suggestion for an HB3 tweeter upgrade (pref no x-over tweaking- the thing's a right bitch to get at!).

thanks for any opinions/ help, RoryC.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:02 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: HEYBROOK HB3 tweeter replacement?

Hi Rory,

I'd advise consulting and seeking advice from WD direct as the owner, Peter Comeau was at the time of HB3's, the designer and owner of Heybrook. Furthermore, he is the UK importer/partner to Seas, so I'm sure a good alternative would be suggested together with further advise if crossover tweaking is required.

Regards,

Greg
Old 31st August 2009, 11:16 PM
RoryC

Hi Greg, I was hoping that was sort of what I was doing here, ie asking WD direct, as it were. I know Peter Comeau frequents here, albeit not so much with his new job by looks of it; I mean I couldn't literally phone them up as its a 30 yr old speaker thats not made by WD.. could I?
Old 31st August 2009, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryC View Post
Hi Greg, I was hoping that was sort of what I was doing here, ie asking WD direct, as it were. I know Peter Comeau frequents here, albeit not so much with his new job by looks of it; I mean I couldn't literally phone them up as its a 30 yr old speaker thats not made by WD.. could I?
HI RoryC
AS Greg says Peter Comeau is you Man give him a email or PM him

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 1st September 2009, 04:45 PM
RoryC

Thanks chaps, ok I'll pm the guru PC himself. I bet he's a busy man nowadays though..
Old 1st September 2009, 07:59 PM

Can't comment on the tweeters, but I'm surprised you've found it difficult to get at the cross-over. As I recall, all you need to do is undo the six bolts holding the terminal panel in place on the back of the cab and the crossover falls out in your lap.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:48 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Rory,

I think approaching WD direct as suggested is the best way. Furthermore, knowing the company and Peter personally I know there would be no problem with you doing that. Certainly Peter is probably much busier than previously but I'm sure the WD staff will do their best even if it is to forward on to Peter your questions.

Also realise that there is a vested interest in assisting you because to recommend a Seas tweeter replacement may well bring business their way. To understand that WD is just one arm of Arena Electronics, click on http://wduk.worldomain.net/ and scroll down to the bottom and click on Arena Electronics in the right hand corner. That will show you the companies attached to Peter and will give you a direct link to Seas driver options in the UK.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Greg
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:39 PM
RoryC

Indeed it does help Greg, thanks for your help; I'll see if I can get a response from there.

Shane that must've been the 2nd series HB3- mine, the orig have no access from rear/ x-over is in the top, only way in from bass driver.. but its vv difficult to even see let alone get tools in to remove.. Id never get the b'stard back in even if got it out!

cheers all, RoryC.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryC View Post
Hi, occasional poster here, so g'day to all again..

Ive just acquired some orig HB3's, & want to stick a better tweeter in (the seas 19mm is a basic placcy dome affair you see afaict/hear). Now, Wilmslow said 'yes our morel (25mm silk dome) cat 298 is a drop-in, no tweaks needed' (94mm plate one's too). Talking over on Pinkfishmedia some have raised eyebrows at this suggestion, poss it being a bigger 25mm, suggesting the similar-looking but textile seas 19TFF1 as perhaps the better idea..

So my Q's are
1) of opinion here on the morel 25mm drop-in idea
2) of the seas 19TFF1 idea.. or indeed
3) any other suggestion for an HB3 tweeter upgrade (pref no x-over tweaking- the thing's a right bitch to get at!).

thanks for any opinions/ help, RoryC.
Hi Rory,

Rogers did a similar thing in that era changing from 19mm plastic dome Seas to similar but metal dome. I've had both versions and can hear the beauty in both and it's a difficult call. There were many slightly different versions and more still for OE. Start by getting all the details off the driver backplate if there are any. Typical was H or HO and 6R or 8R etc. Really I think you're on a hiding to nothing with this as I think some changes will be needed in the xover to accomodate any new tweeter. I bought 3 different speaker pairs complete (secondhand) and listened to them all at home, rather than try and improve just one of them, love 'em or leave 'em . (Reminds me of the joke about a man who chooses a wife based on how they get along and what she can do. Then the woman who chooses a husband based on what sort of project he'll make....) Anyway, there certainly were some nice speakers around the late 80's early 90's.

Rich

Last edited by Richard; 10th September 2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: correct name
Old 5th October 2009, 12:55 PM
RoryC

Hi Richard, sorry ive only just seen your reply (no email notifying as per PFM for eg as Im used to). Metal dome sounds interesting: i remember a pair of Monitor Audio 14 mk 2 Golds I had aeons ago- you could here the ambient vocal detail (ie the 'echo' in a voice) so you could precisely here how big a studio, room it was recorded in.. almost the 'shadow' detail as it were. Never had this since/ I think it had to be a metal dome thing.. really special trait so it was.

ill look into it, cheers RC