World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 23rd October 2012, 09:29 PM

Unhappy Wheer has my blue glow gone

I have been using my scratch built WD88 for about 8 months, tonight noticed that that the blue glow is gone from 2 of the KT88's. What does this mean, are my beloved 2001 Svetlana's about to die?
Old 24th October 2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Wheer has my blue glow gone

I doubt it, just a general ageing process.
The thing to watch out for is if the gettering ( the silvery internal bit) starts to change to brown or transparent, the valve is getting near the end of life. If however the gettering changes to white it indicates that air has leaked into the valve so it should be changed immediately.

John
Old 24th October 2012, 07:48 PM

John thanks, it don't look good. One is quite dark and another clearish, although ironically that one still has the blue glow. The moral to the story may be beware an ebay deal that seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Can anyone suggest which of the many KT88's out there I should go for? I have seen many, mostly chinese and have doubts about the quality.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:36 PM

Can anyone suggest which of the many KT88's out there I should go for? I have seen many, mostly chinese and have doubts about the quality.
[/quote]

im shure there are lots out there , ive had GENALEX golden lions, for about a year all good so far

dave h
Old 25th October 2012, 08:14 AM

Hi Kershaw 33, I run a WD 88 and about two years ago changed the supplyed JJ valves for Svetlans (winged c) from Watford valves within two months )one then another went bad, watford valves did not want to know so I took the plunge and got a set from RS (167.64 + vat RS no 678 4139) they are made in China, and so far I have been very pleased (they sound very rich and warm, with no harshness), hope this is of some use to you. BOB PS shant be dealing with Watford valves ever again .
Old 25th October 2012, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I think there are some good Chinese ones out there now. I always liked Svet 6550C myself but about a year back did get to hear a set of new Genelex Gold Lions and they were very sweet and detailed indeed.

As John says though most likely no problem at all unless you've had the amp running continously. Those power valves will last around 3000 hours so switch off after use Have a look here in our FAQ, the Svet site is down now but this text was pasted from it, http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...read.php?t=127