World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 22nd February 2016, 08:09 PM

Default KIT 6550 - hum

The amp was on the other night. Suddenly there was a noise, rather like a crack, followed by a loud mains hum on both channels. The sound was otherwise unaffected. Visual inspection reveals nothing untoward. The amplifier powers up as normal. I suspect the electrolytics, as the amp is over 11 years old.

Can you please offer some guidance on how I should proceed? Is it possible to test the caps, and if so, how?
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:28 PM

Default Re: KIT 6550 - hum

It sounds like one of the rectifier valves may be duff, when did you last change them? if it is a capacitor, it should be visible, are both 5U4G valves glowing? a test you can do to find out if the 5U4G's are both working, is remove and replace them and switch on one at a time it will work with one valve only, but will hum, as you will only have half wave rectification, if you get no sound with one particular valve, then that is your problem. BOB
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:59 PM

Thanks Bob. The rectifiers were replaced just over 4 years ago. Heaters are working on both. I have done as you suggested and both valves appear OK, ie amplifier works but with loud hum. I have also tried the old rectifiers,which I kept, in various combinations, and the hum remains.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Hi waverley, yes sounds like a psu problem common to both channels.

C1,2,3,4,5 are all suspect and can be checked with a cap meter but you'd need to un-solder first so at that age I'd swap them for new ones. Even if it's not that it would be a good first move at this age.

Ripple kills caps and the ripple is by far the greatest on C1,2 so just change those if you don't have a meter. A quick check can be made with known good caps crocodile clipped across the suspect ones. If the hum goes you've found the bad cap(s) (careful 500V!).

Otherwise buy a bag of suitable size 100uF 450V and swap all 5.

C6 (small valve DC heaters) is also possible so try removing the ECF80's and see if the hum goes and probably change it with the others if you do them.

Next might be the choke. I had one go shorted turns and it still connects but the inductance is less so the smoothing is lowered and the amp hums. Not easy to check without an inductance meter but a resistance check might show it to be lower than expected (ie 10R instead of 40R should drop 10V).
Old 23rd February 2016, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Richard. I shall source and install suitable caps, and then report back. I'm not sure how long this will take, living where I do.
Old 23rd February 2016, 04:21 PM

If you get stuck, Philip Ramsey of Bluebell Audio (in Dundee) is a good person to speak to.

He knows valve amps.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
If you get stuck, Philip Ramsey of Bluebell Audio (in Dundee) is a good person to speak to.

He knows valve amps.
I'll second that Philip, I had a very good experience buying from Philip at bluebell with a lot of helpful advice when I wanted a pair of chokes for my monobloc amp project.

Andy
Old 24th February 2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Matthew at WD will also probably have suitable caps.

The thing with these (and why I didn't suggest a supplier) is that they are high voltage (limited choice of suppliers) and may need to fit in a particular amount of space (waverley needs to check dimensions).

RS would also be a good source if you know the specs but I'd measure up (length x diam) first as making big ones fit may be difficult
Old 24th February 2016, 12:22 PM

RS do do the exact size and make as fitted as standard to the kit, if Waverley cannot get any locally, I have an RS account and will help. BOB
Old 24th February 2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I have been in touch with Philip Ramsey, who helped me with components several years ago. I have given him the dimensions and await his reply. As you say, space is tight for some of the caps. I'll let you know how I get on.