World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2011, 09:43 AM

Default Peter Belt

Dose anyone remember this chap, I have just got rid of a lot of old Hi-Fi mags. and who should be on the front cover of one but the man himself, you know he said that if you wair a paper clip in your lapel the music sounds better. He also sold bits of square paper to put under just one foot of your kit claming nothing should be square, curtains should be follded up at one corner to avoid being square. I saw him at a Hi-Fi show in the late seventes, he even asked people to remove their wrist watches, and I even heard some of the audiance saying (that sounds better) .I wonder where he is now, villa in Spain maybe. BOB

Last edited by bob orbell; 7th July 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Peter Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
.I wonder where he is now, villa in Spain maybe. BOB
Or an asylum ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:18 AM

By the way, there are pages on this topic on THE ART OF SOUND forum.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
By the way, there are pages on this topic on THE ART OF SOUND forum.
Probably another reason not to go there then.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.

Last edited by pre65; 7th July 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:44 PM
WD Archivist

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/index.html
Old 8th July 2011, 09:32 AM

Yes I remember it all now after clicking your link Greg, has any one tried any of his trick's with positive results, be very interested if they have, got to go now and find some blue paper and two saftey pins. BOB
Old 27th July 2011, 09:39 PM
Charlie Poole

Talking Re: Peter Belt

Quote:
Dose anyone remember this chap, I have just got rid of a lot of old Hi-Fi mags. and who should be on the front cover of one but the man himself,
If its the Hi Fi Answers where he's holding up a small machine and wearing a knowing grin... that's the mag that first got me interested in what Peter Belt was doing.

Whenever I read a thread about Peter Belt, like this one, I'm always amazed at how it is entirely built out of complete and total ignorance about both the man, and his products. I am consistenly seeing that the arguments against Belt show that the author (nor his readers for that matter), have even a basic understanding of PWB Electronics products. e.g. People mistakenly view Peter Belt's products as audio products. They're not. They're products for audio. There's a big difference to be understood here.

For one, it's ridiculous to ridicule Peter Belt by saying he claims a safety pin or square of paper can affect the audio signal, when he never made any such claim. He is claiming that many things, those mentioned here among them, change our perception of sound. I think (at least I hope!) we can all agree that our physical condition, or mood if you will, affects and changes how we hear. So if you undergo a physiological change, it can be expected that a change in perception of sound might result. Well that is all that Peter Belt's (PWB's) products do: they change our physical condition. Specifically, they lower a kind of tension present in all of us, which triggers an increase (of one type or other) in the standard of our senses. (Though, this can go both ways, and is not by any means limited to PWB's products). Understanding how and why this is even possible, means having to understand (by way of research or other means), that there are well defined energy patterns present on all objects. Even us, if you don't mind being considered an "object".

There is really no limit to what can be accomplished in audio, if you understand how to harness these energy patterns to advantage.

Peter Belt makes funny looking products that are actually very cleverly engineered, and among the most advanced of any audio manufacturer. Their only fault, is they look more at place at a stationers. Still, it's equally ridiculous (not to mention ignorant) to ridicule his products by pointing out what they look to be, then quoting prices for them that are out of line with what you think they are or do. For by this sort of reasoning, there's no difference between a cubic zirconia and a true diamond. To the untrained eye, they both look the same. What do you say to someone who tries to argue they can get the same thing on eBay for a fraction of the price, by typing "cubic zirconia" into the search engine?

Quote:
you know he said that if you wair a paper clip in your lapel the music sounds better.
Never heard of that. There is a safety pin that PWB sells, that you can wear in your lapel to improve your sound. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of? The safety pins are treated . What this means in layman's terms, is that PB changed the energy pattern of the object, to one more beneficial to human sense. That's why you see a plastic tie at the end of the PWB Electronics safety pin. Both of those objects have been treated. I don't know that a regular safety pin would do anything. So if there are any lunkheads out there, going around trying ordinary safety pins and then dismissing the entire phenomenon of Beltism because it's not doing anything for them.... that would be the reason why.
Old 27th July 2011, 09:45 PM
Charlie Poole

Exclamation Re: Peter Belt

Quote:
He also sold bits of square paper to put under just one foot of your kit claming nothing should be square,
You're trying to claim that Peter has been inconsistent in his advocacy, with implications of charlatanism. But you are dead wrong, if this is what you are doing here. Because you lack understanding about Beltism, you confuse treated squares with untreated squares, in an attempt to stick your prejudices about Peter and his products, to him. Magnets and batteries are other examples of things that are naturally detrimental in their effect on human senses. However. If you know what you're doing, you can apply processes to them that turn them into beneficial devices. The greater detrimental effect they may have, the greater their potential for becoming a beneficial influence. While most of PWB's foils are designed to be cut rectangularly, some are designed to be used as squares, for reasons given.

Ever heard of biogeometry, btw? Peter is by far not the only person who has observed that humans react to shapes around them, and benefits can be derived from understanding the nature of this phenomenon. Entire cities have adopted the idea, because it has proven effective. I know of the notion PWB released as a free tweak, where they advocated putting a small square? of blue paper under plant pots. I've tried all of these ideas years ago, with positive results. Though I never made much use of them, because I've moved beyond them to more effective ideas. FWIW, his theory on the reasons for this, is that there are no box shapes in nature. Thus we react adversely to anything that is not natural, as it was when we were a new species of life form.

Quote:
curtains should be follded up at one corner to avoid being square.
This is one of the first things I tried that blew my mind. The effect is increased as you go larger on the corner.

Quote:
I saw him at a Hi-Fi show in the late seventes, he even asked people to remove their wrist watches, and I even heard some of the audiance saying (that sounds better) .
They must all have succumbed to his svengali like charms. Wrist watches, aside from anything else, contain batteries. Batteries have an effect on our perception of sound. But eyeglasses, and many other things you wear also have an impact. If the energy patterns of these objects have a negative effect on humans, removing them is enough to affect tension levels. I wouldn't expect a night and day difference, but a difference all the same.

Quote:
I wonder where he is now, villa in Spain maybe.
Didn't your mother teach you not to gossip? Peter was always based in Leeds, and that is where he still is. He still has customers since 25 years ago. That's a hell of a placebo effect, wouldn't you say? His company, PWB Electronics Inc., has always offered a money back guarantee, so he has NEVER ripped anyone off, as your comment implies. He is still producing new products, and in fact, came out recently with a very interesting product, in the form of a USB flash drive. If you plug it into a free USB outlet on your PC, you instantly improve the sound of anything you listen to, as well as anything you burn to CD or DVD. Moreover, you can copy music files to the flash drive, and improve their sound when copied back.

There is absolutely no one in audio producing anything like this, improving computer sound, mp3's and CD burns, and a bunch of other things, all at the same time. You can predictably argue "because it doesn't and can't work".... but then I'll point out the fact you've never tried it. I have. In fact, I'm writing a review on it as we speak....
Old 27th July 2011, 09:46 PM
Charlie Poole

Cool Re: Peter Belt

Quote:
Yes I remember it all now after clicking your link Greg, has any one tried any of his trick's with positive results, be very interested if they have, got to go now and find some blue paper and two saftey pins. BOB
Yes, Bob. I've been trying Peter Belt's "tricks" as you call them, for decades. I've yet to hear anything that didn't have an effect. Though I admit that when I am implementing my own "tricks", based on the science he discovered, it's not always what I would call "positive results". That doesn't deter me, however. But according to the naysayers, I'm not even supposed to be getting *any* results. So when I say I do, the cynicphiles inevitably trot out their ready-made excuse of:

"I'm a gullible fool with more money than sense."

aka The old "victim of effective marketing" theory. But then I explain that doesn't hold up very well, because I am constantly getting positive results from my own treatments (aka "tricks"), that didn't cost me a cent. That's when my critics push their thumbs under their suspenders, then proudly proceed to forward an argument they think they are so clever in making, that they act like they just invented it, and are sure I've never heard of it before. They call it the "placebo" theory. aka the "You're just imagining you hear differences because you want to" theory.

But wait. If I can imagine anything I want, then I would only imagine that I hear positive differences. Why do I imagine negative differences? And how is it that I can both imagine and remember hundreds of differences, over years of time, that repeat themselves in the same way, when the same actions are repeated? Because I have good listening skills and find that Peter Belt's products work, that now means I have a photographic memory?? And after 25 years of hearing what I'm not "supposed" to be hearing.... isn't there a freaking expiry date on the placebo theory?? There has to be, otherwise there is no discernable difference between placebo and reality.

Still, people will readily dismiss my experiences with Belt's products or concepts, simply because they won't allow the possibility that they are absolutely dead wrong in their opinions about Peter Belt. And that's easier to do when they don't know me. But where it gets interesting, is on the occasion where one of their mates, which they DO know, goes ahead and tries one of mine (or Peter's ideas that I propose).... and despite his own prejudices, finds it does make a difference. Even under blind conditions. Now the naysayer has to sort of go on the attack against his own mate, in order to continue to defend his cherished system of beliefs!

And there are countless examples, some given in this thread here, where people have witnessed changes brought by Peter's ideas or products.... but then written it off with some ridiculous excuse, such as "the folly of youth" or "the man's a hypnotist, for I could not reproduce the results at home". The question isn't whether Peter Belt's products work, but whether you are willing to change your beliefs enough to allow for the fact that they do. Knowing that by doing so, it will "seemingly" destroy everything you thought you knew about audio.

Most people don't realize to what extent that their beliefs of the world are simply mindless regurgitations of what they are told is true. And to what extent that defending those beliefs, whether they're right or wrong, is more important to them than what the truth actually is.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Poole View Post

In fact, I'm writing a review on it as we speak....

Well i hope it makes more sense than the last three posts.
Closed Thread