World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 4th August 2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Computer Problems Windows 7

Hi All
I have a computer problem with well two problems
1 on boot up I keep getting this pop up any ideas on why and how to fix it

2 opening any file from inside my documents take about 30/40seconds variable after opening a folder the file inside the folder looks like blank pages and still takes up to 20/30 seconds to display the file it happens to any file format the green bar at the top that shows you that the files are loading is slow to run as well

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 4th August 2011, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Computer Problems Windows 7

I would try restoring the computer to a time before the problem started happening.

Then do a FULL anti virus and spyware scan.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yep forgot to say I had this problem earlier and tried the rollback a virus checks which did’t fix anything
so I decided to reformatted the drive and did a complete new re install of window 7 and all software and restored all my file from a good clean backup

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 4th August 2011, 04:45 PM

Your first post suggests that Memeo Backup software is trying to automatically backup your hard disk to another device (another hard disk or CD-ROM perhaps).

Have you installed this software? I'm not aware of it being part of Windows 7. I would suggest un-installing it through Control Panel.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yep it’s my Western Digital Backup Drive software which backs up to its own drive in really time also deletes file if you delete them http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=111&lang=en

Old 4th August 2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Yep it’s my Western Digital Backup Drive software which backs up to its own drive in really time also deletes file if you delete them http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=111&lang=en
In that case, I suggest contacting Western Digital for support.
Old 4th August 2011, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Colin,
Yes sounds like both problems might be related. Is it a stand alone drive? Is it plugged in etc (sorry obvious I know) but also inside, if a desktop it's worth checking the usb port cable is plugged to the motherboard ok and is working with, say, checking a memory stick can be found if plugged in. It may be a "lost" port. My Documents is also, usually, a very large file, many gigs, check properties to find out, but if, say, a virus scanner wanted to check it as it opened it might be slow so worth checking the a/v settings.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Ok resolved the first problem with the Mimeo Backup software as john 7 suggested reinstalls it thanks john
Still got the slow file opening problem in my documents even when switching of spyware and antivirus I can open my documents and click on the folder I want all works great to this point
when I click on the file I want to open this is when I get the lag any file does this pdf jpegs word all files but if I close the file then open it again it works great but if I open another file I get the lag again this would suggest low memory and of disk defrag required but I have defraged and I have 4G of ram in this thing maybe its resources or something

Old 6th August 2011, 10:20 AM

Hi Colin,
The green bar thing sounds like an indexiing problem to me (but I'm no expert).
Is indexing turned on?
Open My computer/right click on the hard drive/properties/ general. Make sure that there is a tick next to "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"

A quick search found this too, which may help.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...sked-questions, especially this bit:

If you are experiencing problems with searching, such as unusually slow searches or incomplete search results, run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to see if it can diagnose the problem.

Open the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click Search and Indexing.

Depending on the severity of the problem, the Search and Indexing troubleshooter might need to restart the Windows Search service.

Hope this helps.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dik
Thanks for the pointers
I went though all Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click Search and Indexing. And no difference looks like I will have to reformat the C drive and try a reinstall of everything again