World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th July 2017, 12:11 PM

Default My Cathode follower with active load.

Hi all, about 5 months ago I lashed together, CF with active load and a White CF, after a lot of listening I chose the former and built it on a nice experimenters board supplied by another member, well, it worked, but, I had a rustling sound from the speakers when turning the volume knob, it is a Alps motorised, and a thump when pressing the mute function on the remote, when using the remote to turn the volume up or down, a tick tick tick noise came from the speakers. I dismantled many times and tested everything, all seams correct, and it sounds good, it was when I tested the voltage to the upper valve with my meter and the system was on that I noticed the thump had gone and the rustling sound had gone as I turned the knob, removing the meter, the problems returned, so, I tried adding some capacitance, 220nF 400v, but no improvement, out of frustration I cut the 0 volt wire off, and now silence on one channel, so a second cap has been added to the other channel, and all is well, but how is this doing it, there is only one connection to to capacitors, see photo, it beats me. BOB