World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 12th July 2023, 08:36 PM

Default Pre3 upgrade again

Hi Folks,
Only posted once been a member for nearly a decade but visited many times prior to joining, anyway great information and fun so thank you all.
I had a noisy Alps 50k pot which was in a Pre3 XL version purchased from a friend, sold my Pre3 in 2012, basic version, which was stupid but the circle of life, The pot had the shunt mod with Carbon Amtrans 47K, sounded very very good but a tiny bit of glare. Anyway to lessen the gain I now have the 20K Alps pot shunted with the new Audio Note Niobium resistors, 68K, not the silver ones, I also have installed the 0.1uf Mojotone mineral T oil caps, sounds really musical, clear and detailed, not a hint of glare, much better than I was hoping for! they have all been in for two weeks now and sound a bit better for the time.
Just thought I would share this in case any one wondered what these caps and resistors were like.
Cheers

Last edited by Paul Stoneman; 12th July 2023 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Date of joining forum shown at the top.
Old 13th July 2023, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Pre3 upgrade again

Hi Paul, nice to hear you like your mods, but if you can, try two Charcroft Z-Foil resistors in the shunt pot position, they are stunning resistors, I have them in my Phono III and my Akidio CF Pre, yes, they are very expensive but worth every penny. Bob
Old 23rd October 2023, 01:27 PM

Hi Bob, sorry for the late reply, I actually could not find my own post so thought I missed posted.
Thank you I will try them.
Old 23rd October 2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stoneman View Post
... could not find my own post ....
You can go to "Members List" at the top of the page,
find your own name,
go to "Statistics",
go to "Find all posts by" yourself, or "Find all threads started by" yourself.

Alternatively use Search if you can remember any words that might narrow the field- eg ""Amtrans" in this case.

There may well be simpler routes that I have not discovered.
Old 24th October 2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stuart View Post
You can go to "Members List" at the top of the page,
find your own name,
go to "Statistics",
go to "Find all posts by" yourself, or "Find all threads started by" yourself.

Alternatively use Search if you can remember any words that might narrow the field- eg ""Amtrans" in this case.

There may well be simpler routes that I have not discovered.
Good advise from Allister, Paul, please post your findings if you buy the Charcrofts. Bob
Old 14th January 2024, 11:42 AM

Good morning, Happy New year all and thank you Bob, used the Charcrofts in the shunted volume pot and on the board, can't remember the resistor now as did over New Year Holiday, have had a bit of running in time and the pre3 is fantastic, a friend had a listen and said he wishes he had heard it before he brought his Moon 740P but I expect he was being kind. LOL.

I still hanker after a Pre4 CF, was talking to Matthew about one pre Christmas, I love the look and the simplicity, will not get rid of the pre3 though, too good, using with Purifi Eigentakt and background is silent.

On a side note I have a WAD6550 kIt with Sowter UO82 transformers which I have just stripped down for a full rebuild and to KAT, spraying the chassis at present, it had blistered a bit, I have a 2003 6550 as well build for my brother in law, that may be next.

Thank you for for a great forum.
Old 15th January 2024, 08:28 AM

Hi Paul, if you get the opertunity to listern to a Pre III or IV CF, do so, because I think you might just like it, especialy with the CCS load engaged, I built one for a freind, albeit with a HT regulator fitted instead of the Zener diode, who was using a Pre III and found it so good he told me to sell the Pre III. Bob
Old 21st January 2024, 09:43 AM

Thank you for the heads up Bob, its on my shopping list, hopefully within the next month or so.
Old 18th February 2024, 09:58 AM

Good morning Bob, Well Matthew is sending out the Pre4 CF next week so plung taken, not had any way of a pre listen but going by my Pre3 then quite happy to buy, would you be able to advise the voltage regulator change from the Zenor diode please.
Old 18th February 2024, 11:52 AM

Hi Paul, I can send you the circuit diagram and components, you will need to build it on a small piece of verya board, it is very simple and I include a photo of the one I did for my chum, in a Pre III cathode follower, if you cant build it ask and I can help, you also need to change a few components in the kit. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20230723_001 reg.jpg (99.3 KB, 36 views)