World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 10th August 2023, 08:50 PM

Default KLP1 Preamp

Hi is there anyone on the forum that can help me with the build instructions/Schematic and any upgrade info on the KLP1 Line Stage pre-amp.I have acquired one in a poor state and would benefit from a total rebuild. Thank You fixitfixit.
Old 10th August 2023, 09:04 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: KLP1 Preamp

I’ve emailed you.
Old 11th August 2023, 08:51 AM

I do hope you can fixit fixitfixit, if you cant fixit fixitfixit I may be able to fixit. Bob
Old 11th August 2023, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Fixitfixit, you obviously didn't look at your pms

John
Old 12th August 2023, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Well it seems Steve Fixitfixit has only posted one post since November 2020 not sure that qualifies for any manual insufficient posts I would say but if anyone disagrees with that that's fine by me
he sent me a pm asking me if I still have the info on upgrades for the World Audio KLP 1 Pre-amp not sure where he got that info from as I have never had any on upgrades for the World Audio KLP 1 Pre-amp I have not replied to his pm

Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 13th August 2023, 12:35 AM

let me explain Colin.hepburn I have not posted for some years because I have been ill with depression and not really done anything on the electronics side of things,also I have not come across that much World Audio Hifi and when I acquired the KLP 1 I asked for genuine help from any members of the forum as I realised I was still a member. I am totally shocked and dismayed by your remarks that I should be penalised for asking for a schematic help as I had not posted for some time.I think I have worked the circuit out anyway now and to contribute to the forum I will post an update in the near future.
Old 13th August 2023, 08:28 AM

Steve, Colin is only pointing out the rules of the forum, he means no ill and would help if he could, just to point out Colin is dyslexic and his wording may offend ( as dose mine sometimes ) please could you apologise to Colin. I am also going to post my PM return to you so other members can join in --

Steve, the KLP1 is the same one as I had, it only uses half of each valve and the power supply is 100 volts AC followed by a full wave voltage doubler, 200 volt DC, John Caswell has the circuit details and he has sent you a PM, the circuit is very simple but the PCB is very poor and is prone to damage. My suggestion is use a PCB for the new Pre III CF, Matthew Snell, our Administrator, will sell you a board and all the components, about £130.00, this will fit in your case but, you will need a additional power supply, although something could be done with the one you have. I don't know your location but if you send me your Pre. I can have a look at it for free. Could you post pictures on the forum, others will be interested. Bob
Old 13th August 2023, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve
It was not my intention to upset you in any way I was just trying to protect the forum from scammers who try to get schematics and manuals under fake user names etc and claim to have the kit they do not have from time to time and only seeing one post from you since 2020 flagged this up I think it would have been better if you had reintroduced yourself first to refresh the members about yourself and intension with the KLP 1 Pre-amp.

That's all I was trying to say as A forum mod. we are a close community here and want to give help to each other on their projects I also agree with Bob that the PCB for the new Pre III CF. Is the way to go today but whichever way you go Steve post up your progress and help us keep the forum running in the way it should to help all of us enjoy the hobby we love
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 13th August 2023, 11:03 PM

I have stripped the circuit board of all the components on the KLP 1 and taken photos of the board both sides- I have ordered 2 ceramic sockets to replace the plastic ones fitted that were real slack,some of the capacitors were under the rated voltage so i will replace them also- the original build was a real mess and I am making steady progress and will share the results to the forum if the preamp is not up to the job then like members have suggested I can fit an alternative board and power supply to the original box which is built like a tank.
cheers.
Old 13th August 2023, 11:34 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, indeed, Steve, the best bit about KLP1 is probably the chassis/case and you could build into it a variety of options.
The original cathode follower circuit is nothing especially different and it and variations are well documented elsewhere. Take a look at our own FAQ section in relation to the original WAD Pre2.
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=7632
Furthermore, Morgan Jones has plenty to say on this basic cathode follower circuit in his excellent book, ‘Valve Amplifiers’. Well worth reading.

Good to have you here. Don’t be put off by contributors who have no authority, trying to instruct you on how to behave. Ignore them. Having said that, Moderator Colin only means well. He has no axe to grind.

I’ll email you a bit more information that you may find helpful.