World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > Membership Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Membership Issues For discussion of any issues with membership of this forum

Old 13th July 2007, 02:01 PM

Default Senior member ??

Hi,
Just noticed I'm a senior member now, I take it that it refers to my number of posts and not my age.
A by-product of this is that it implies that I could be asked for advice about Valves etc.
Do members agree that a more apt form of promotion could be used that wouldn't suggest knowledge just because I write a lot.
Old 13th July 2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Senior member ??

Couldn't agree more. I'm over a thousand posts now, and I hardly know anything!
Old 13th July 2007, 04:36 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

Just means we've been rattling on too much :p
Old 13th July 2007, 04:51 PM

My member is still very much in its prime :p
Old 13th July 2007, 05:45 PM

Smile Re: Senior member ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by john & Jake the dog View Post
Hi,
Just noticed I'm a senior member now, I take it that it refers to my number of posts and not my age.
A by-product of this is that it implies that I could be asked for advice about Valves etc.
Do members agree that a more apt form of promotion could be used that wouldn't suggest knowledge just because I write a lot.
Hi John,

Personally i'd not worry about being a member / senior member etc at all. I think u'll find it's just generic software used by many forums, and once you've posted over 100 post's you become a senior member. I don't think it implies anything. It's very rare a post is placed for a specific person, that kind of thing is often done using pm's, so I'd not worry about being put on the spot and asked to demonstrate your knowledge - and if you are, just answer truthfully! This is a really useful forum, which has helped me no end. I don't scratch build amp's, and at the moment have enough WAD kit's that i'm not working on any specific project, so seldom post. The BB has worked well for WAD and now WD, I personally don't think the status of members is an issue.

Some of the most knowledgeable members seldom post, whilst other less experienced members may need to ask lots of questions - so the numbers are meaningless. I think people pitching in at all levels helps promote healthy discussion, and also brings new idea's. Questions are raised at all levels, and sometimes even repeated, and I think the board has developed a good balance all round. I'm not so sure if we need a newbies room though, this is a forum, not a chat room as such. I just think a Newbie room, may be a place for the less the confident to reside, and their posts may become overlooked at times.

Of course - just my opinion.

Mike.

Last edited by Mike G; 13th July 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Thought of more to say!!
Old 13th July 2007, 06:31 PM

The 'promotion' of forum members is there to encourage members to post more often and also gives others an idea of how much the member uses the forum.

We currently have over a 1000 members of which just over 300 are 'active'. Does that tell you something?
Old 13th July 2007, 07:20 PM

hi Peter,
I agree with the promotion for posts concept, It's just that when I started here I sought out a senior member to ask a technical question of thinking that it meant a member with long experience of Valve amplification etc.
It would be good if there could be another system with more apt names.
The term super moderator is misleading as well.
I've noticed that these are the most experienced members but the name implies that they are just top moderators.

Just thinkin' out loud
Old 13th July 2007, 07:26 PM

As has been intimated in a previous post we don't have any control over 'seniority' - this is all done by the BB software.

Similarly 'super' moderators just indicates their powers in that they can edit or move threads and ban and unban members and have other controls over the way the BB works.

If we did 'rate' the contributors I bet some of them would get miffed that they weren't as highly rated as others!

With questions it is best to throw them open to the forum and let those who have experience of the problem answer it.
Old 16th July 2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I am soooooo good at this lark I just had to be a super moderator
I think the reason Richard and I are so designated is that we go back to the beginning of the WAD board where Richard, Paolo and I were known as the "wise ones":p
The "Dr John' title is honorary. I have no formal qualifications whatsoever apart from 50 ish years in the school of life.

John aka Dr John
Old 16th July 2007, 09:22 PM
WD Archivist

Only fifty, John? You're so modest