World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 25th January 2006, 04:33 PM

Default Gyro Tweaks

Ok. I am back on the Gyro for a bit, while I do some comparisons between aforementioned and Lenco '88'. Sounds very nice, very refined, very detailed, very smooth, but still lacking that emotion and drive of the Lenco. Are there any age old tweaks or tricks I can perform on it to wring some more performance out of it ?? If I can tweak the Lenco, why not the Gyro too ?? I don't want to spend any money on it (well maybe a few quid if need be, but not much), and to date I have this setup :

>> Michell Gyro SE
>> Orbe platter/bearing/clamp and damping kit
>> GyroPower VC
>> Locked the spider feet
>> Fresh oil in bearing
>> New belt
>> Levelled perfectly and suspension bounce spot-on
>> At the moment using 10mm thick, hard rubber washers to mount armboard (this is similar to using blu-tack under the nylon bushes, but also allows for perfect adjustment of armboard in relation to platter/cart)
>> Speed adjusted down in VC to 33rpm spot-on
>> Rega VTA adjuster wound fully down, and arm locked only finger tight using knurled nut

Is there actually anything else I can do, or is that about it, without wasting money on pricey HR PSUs, or OTT silly conversions (a la Gert Pedersson's suspension and mass loading kits) ??
I doubt it will get near the Lenco for drive, slam or emotion, but I can try....
I suspect it is all down to that horrible, rubber belt drive and low-speed, anaemic DC motor.
Old 25th January 2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Gyro Tweaks

In terms of cheaper mods,you've pretty much been through the run there,and it does leave you with the more expensive options in terms of power supplies,such as the Origin Live,and similar.

I think that a number of modern belt drive decks do end up sounding somewhat CD-ish,if thats the right terminology,and that topic crops up again and again amongst the Linn fraternity(myself being one)when considering the suspension and PSU upgrades,with many preferring the Mk1 Lingo PSU and no upgrades to the chassis...so many ways of skinning the same cat!
Old 25th January 2006, 04:46 PM

Yeah... that's what I thought, but I guessed it was worth asking the many Gyroheads that frequent this BB (some of them now ex-Gyroheads ), if they may know of any closely guarded secrets or arcane methods of tweakery.
Old 25th January 2006, 04:51 PM

Have you tried PFM by any chance,as there are a lot of them in that neck of the woods.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/index.php
Old 25th January 2006, 05:28 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

The only other thing is to decouple the platter from the bearing with a thin rubber washer as revealed on TNT audio. The HR PSU is significantly better that the VC but as you don't want to spend any money, you'll never know I certainly wouldn't try an OL PSU. The other option is to build your own battery PSU which is as good as an HR. use voltage regulator LM723. A google search should turn up the PDF spec sheet. Use figure 2 for the circuit. I have one of these and so does James, both originally built by Tony Moore. You're welcome to a trial of mine but you'd have to provide your own battery. An old car battery would do.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 25th January 2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.
I certainly wouldn't try an OL PSU.

Greg
Greg...slightly off the original topic,but I'd be very interested in your comments about the OL PSU.

I considered one for my Linn recently,and am glad in retrospect that I used a Lingo instead,having read some comments elsewhere regarding using them with Linn TTs,but also when looking at the general build...any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Old 25th January 2006, 05:43 PM

Hmmm, you seem to have got much of what's needed nailed down already Lee, however, I don't know about those hard rubber washers, did they sound better than the nylon spacers? What is the Gyro mounted on? Perhaps some mileage to be had there?

Also, and I know you're not going to do it but I have to mention it, the HR is a major upgrade for this deck it does give it more slam and drive, however, it's never going to have the drive you prefer in the Lenco, it's presentation is different, smooth and refined with detail as you note. It highlights differences in arm and cartridge choice vividly IMHO, some of what you are hearing may be down to that. The Lenco may have more synergy with the Rega arms, certainly if my recent experience is anything to go by.

One last thing, it could be down to the type of music you enjoy and prefer. I'm not really into classical but some of the pieces I have on vinyl sound absolutely superb on the Gyro even when the Rega was bolted to it, the Lenco does not cut it. That may change though in the very near future
Old 25th January 2006, 05:43 PM

Ha Haaaa.... I knew there would be more !! This TNT rubber washer article Greg. Do you have any links or more info ??

What benefits does the battery supply and/or HR have over my VC supply ?? What does it actually do the 'tables performance ?? Why have you and others felt the need to leave the HR and go for a different supply ?? Is it cost vs DIY, or is it purely performance ?? I am having trouble coming to terms with the difference in performance of a belt driven table powered by a DC motor supplied with a b1oody good supply, and a very b1oody good supply. I would have thought the differences to be subtle myself. For instance, would it inject the Gyro's performance with the missing drive and emotion that I think it lacks in comaprison to my Lencos ??

Any other tweaks anyone ?? Don't say change the arm either, as I am working on that one, slowly. That's why I don't want to ditch the Michell yet, as a different arm may improve things. I am coming to the conclusion that Rega and Rega based arms are good, but not good enough. Ho hum !!

EDIT: Just read your post after posting this Neal, sorry.
Old 25th January 2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulminer
Any other tweaks anyone ?? Don't say change the arm either, as I am working on that one, slowly. That's why I don't want to ditch the Michell yet, as a different arm may improve things. I am coming to the conclusion that Rega and Rega based arms are good, but not good enough. Ho hum !!

EDIT: Just read your post after posting this Neal, sorry.
The OL arms can work very well with the right cartridges,but I dont have any experience of anything other then the somewhat costly Conqueror at £2.5k(lol),but the Regas generally have very good press for the price,and it may be worth considering some of the mods available for the arm at some stage.

The trouble with all of that is that it involves the cartridge as well,and may onvolve yet more expense and change.
Old 25th January 2006, 05:50 PM

Neal, the 'table is atop a Phase 5 Mana reference table which is spiked to concrete floor via a Mana Soundstage. I have completly discounted any external interference, although the glass top shelf may be worth a look, but I doubt it.

The rubber washers to my ears sound no different as yet, but they have only been in for a couple of hours. I will replace the nylons later and see if they did do anything. If nothing else, it gives me extra minute adjustment over VTA and small azimuth corrections. Nothing to write home about, so I doubt that Pederssen's armboard mod would be up to much. I think the supply is about the only thing left, but you are right. I don't think ANYTHING will inject this sterile machine with the life the Lencos have.

I have modded the Rega arm, with an Incognito Rewire kit. I am not bothering with counterweights. They won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.