World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 16th April 2006, 06:01 PM

Default Lp12 Diy Geddon - Valhalla - Toroidal

Hi everyone - not a bad Easter so far.

A question no doubt asked on the previous WAD Forum but hey here goes.

Does anyone remember or can anyone confirm if there was a thread that considered whether an Armageddon PSU or DIY version was better than a Linn Valhalla fed from a Toroidal Transformer. I built a Geddon clone last year and for an experiment modified it this weekend to feed a Valhalla at 110v and was surprised at the results. I am convinced the Toroidal fed Valhalla sounds better, am I gong deaf, or stupid? - i.e. Has my mind decided that I want there to be a change for the better? The sound is more detailed and less edgy, more ambience and depth - Jimmy Smith and Brian Auger sound great.

The DIY Geddon had been perfect until last week when for some reason the sound of vinyl went scewwiff ( I know my spelling is poor) the sound was awful - UGH!! : New reissues sounded oh so course, except for one Akarma release of Mayblitz II, superb, but I can't just listen to one re-issue album, I think it may be down to poor mains quality.

As I said earlier I put the Valhalla back in but fed it from the Geddon Toroidal Transformer - the result? almost perfection. Why

The Turntable in use: LP12 pre-circus, RB250 arm - Michell techno Weight c/w Incognito cable and Denon DL304 (I know, I know) and the aforementioned Valhalla fed from a 500VA Toroidal transformer, the rest of the system WAD Pre II/Power II/Phono II and KAT 34 thro' Yamaha NS1000M's.

As an aside has anyone ordered or heard the Trunk record LP - "The Tomorrow People" - OST? It will probably be deleted by Tuesday as there are only 500 copies being issued and it was only released last week, the UFO OST LP was deleted almost immediately - has anyone got a copy?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Oh yes, thank heavens for Bank Holiday Boot Sales I may find that copy of Rainbow Ffolly on Parlophone - "dream, dream, dream-dream-dream etc.".

Basil
Old 16th April 2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Lp12 Diy Geddon - Valhalla - Toroidal

Everytime I made a change to my LP12, I was never sure if the resultant change was due to whatever had been changed, or the fact the suspension had been moved, reset, redone, looked at etc.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 16th April 2006, 06:44 PM
Lord.

Basil,

I spent a few years upgrading my old LP12 (from Valhalla to Cirkus/Lingo) and was never satisfied as its 'character' always remained. The best upgrade I made was to strip and sell it and buy a massive non-suspended Belt Drive, and because of the success of Linn's marketing I made an eBay profit on my second hand LP12 bits.

Members on this BB are getting into Idler and DD turntables so these will be worth investigating too. I'm sorry that Nick's and my answers may not be what you were hoping for, but I don't think that there are many members here still using a LP12?
Old 17th April 2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil
As an aside has anyone ordered or heard the Trunk record LP - "The Tomorrow People" - OST? It will probably be deleted by Tuesday as there are only 500 copies being issued and it was only released last week, the UFO OST LP was deleted almost immediately - has anyone got a copy?
Yep!
Here it is!

I've got the Tomorrow People OST on order from movie grooves, cheaper than direct from trunk, they're showing 6 vinyl copies still in stock, they have sound samples on their site, sounds promising!

Did you get a copy of that BBC radiophonic workshop 3X10" set that came out a couple of years ago? It features some more hard to find Delia Derbyshire stuff - excellent.

Allen

Last edited by Allen; 17th April 2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 17th April 2006, 03:31 PM

Thanks. :p

The comments on the Linn are appreciated - I sometimes think switching on the deck changes the sound, my TD 160 has something the Linn dosen't, better solidness in the bottom end, time for a change soon? The comment on the saleability of Linns is spot on, I should maybe exploit this and buy a 401.

Thanks to Allen for the link to the Sound track site.

The Tomorrow People sound track is ordered can't wait to annoy the neighbours as they are in their 40s - same as me, and who will hopefully ask "what the hell is that damn tune, I can remember it from somewhere".

As an aside I didn't know the UFO LP was in clear vinyl - saw a copy on eBay for £45, I will cary out a search for a copy, hopefully, I will succeed (most likely fail).

No luck at the boot sales today, a few Floyd and Yes LPs, now where did I see someone after DSOTM.

Listening to Red Sea by Warhorse - WOT?? Similar to Deep purple - check Google for details.

Basil
Old 17th April 2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I should maybe exploit this and buy a 401.
Or maybe try and track down a Lenco 88 or 99 as prices are still affordable and rising. If you can get round the VTA issue with your arm L75s are still available at beer money prices. Pre65 has recently conquered unknown idler territory with a Dual 1019..... lots of options.
Quote:
As an aside I didn't know the UFO LP was in clear vinyl - saw a copy on eBay for £45, I will cary out a search for a copy, hopefully, I will succeed (most likely fail).
You might be lucky, but 500 is a very small edition and this stuff is very popular in Japan and the US. Might be worth buying 2 copies of the Tomorrow People!
Quote:
Listening to Red Sea by Warhorse - WOT?? Similar to Deep purple
That's a good score! Strangely, and by pure coincidence I have one track by them on that Vertigo Retrospective 3XCD 'Time Machine' sampler that came out last year. Stoner Rock is the new Stoner Rock

Allen
Old 18th April 2006, 08:47 PM

If the 401 option does not materialise then a Goldring would be the way to go, annoying thing is I could have had a GL75 few weeks back fitted in a Dynatron stereo record player for a fiver at the local boot sale. When will I learn.

If I obtain a GL75 I may try and make a new chassis so that the arm issue is a non-issue, I will wait and see what turns up, the WD site has provided some excellent tips.

Regarding Trunk records how on earth can they make a profit manufacturing only 500 LPs for a tenner, dosen't seem worth it for the effort that's put in, however, I am glad they do.

Basil