World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Useful Links
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Useful Links Links to other useful sites

Old 1st June 2008, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Cool Fed up With windows vista start menu try this

Hi All
Fed up with windows vista start menu clutter check this out you can set it up as classic windows winxp vista styles and you can arrange all your stuff as you want it looks good and its free unless you want to pay £15.00 for the pro version http://www.vistastartmenu.com/index.html

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Fed up With windows vista start menu try this

I'm fed up with Vista full stop! If I could swap my Vista licence to XP I'd roll back straight away, Vista is awful.
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:30 AM

You can still buy computers with Windows XP. Most of the business computer suppliers, for example DABS for Business, still offer computers with XP because they know most businesses don't want to run Vista.

On the gadgets show on Channel 4 last night I was amused to see a test of three £500 desktops running Vista. None of them managed to play Sega Rallye without graphics jerking and stopping, two of them took over 45 mins to install, although Vista wasn't pointed at as the reason for this poor performance you can guess that it didn't help!

Just remember that Vista is part of the conspiracy amongst computer software and hardware manufacturers to sell the latest performance computers. IMO most computers sold with Vista are not powerful enough to run it efficiently. You need at least 2Gb of RAM, preferably double that, the fastest processor you can lay your hands on and a graphics card that has its own on board high performance processor and video RAM.

Me, I'm sticking to XP until there is a major upgrade to computer hardware performance to catch up with the requirements to run a heavyweight OS like Vista efficiently.
Old 3rd June 2008, 02:14 PM

hmm, I have had no end of probs with xp, too.

I run a pretty fast cpu and modern mobo.

its software probs. and the internet/scumware that causes it.

I didn't like vista, looked pretty, but cumbersome.

xp is also VERY cumbersome, multiple things scattered everywhere, and you can't see what is going where.

I have vista now, with 2gb ram, its quite stable, with sp1, but I have a feeling that start menu has slowed it a little

fast cpus' aren't expensive now, on the contrary, you can pick up a fab one for around £100. mobos are a big con, too, you don't need an all singing one.

its graphics cards that are the big con, £300 for top spec. every 3 months

spposed to be a new windows in 2010? win 7? even vista became compromised, was meant to be fab but got cut down.

I quite like vista so far, but it still needs much better organisation and integration, that's the main thing, logical simple access to everything in plain english labelled in a way you can understand.
Old 3rd June 2008, 02:44 PM
simcox1

I haven't used Windows for years. There's one in the house so I know what it's like. I've currently got a macbook, and recently ran a Slackware Linux desktop. The WindowsXP laptop is the only one which needs antivirus software which itself slows things down, particularly at startup. Neither Linux nor macintosh need antivirus, anti spyware or anything else like that. My macbook came with a firewall.

If you can possibly do without Windows, and deal with software compatibility issues, it is well worth it IMO.
Old 3rd June 2008, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Well as you all know I now have my High spec new PC going well now
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Duo core 2 E8400 CPU Speed: 3GHz Bus Speed: 1333 MHz
L2 Cache Size: 6 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 3 GHz
MSI P35 Platinum MS-7345 v1.X mainboard
4GB DDR2 XMS2 800MHz Twin x board can take 8GB of DDR2 800Mhz
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Samsung Spinpoint 500GB Sata 16MB 7200 Hard drive
ASUS 18x lightscribe DVD writer
550watt PSU
Geforce 8600GT 1GB DDR2
Collmaster cooler copper
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Windows Vista premium
Just one incompatibly with Adobe Acrobat 6 PDF and some confusion over the My Documents Folders’ sometimes a slow start up don’t know what the cause of this is it’s not the start menu add on that works fine I am contemplating paying of the pro version other than that windows vista is fast and stable

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member