World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Useful Links
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Useful Links Links to other useful sites

Old 12th March 2011, 05:51 PM

Default Software Oscilloscope

On the WDPhono 3.18uS thread I mentioned a software oscilloscope I use for checking the azimuth of my cartridge in conjunction with the HFN test record (side 2, band 5 on my version). The same software could be used to set the HF trimmer on the Phono3. WD probably can't recommend any particular freeware as they could need a commercial license if they were to do this, but we can use this software for personal use legally. The scope I downloaded is found at:
http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_de

When using this software you need to ensure your PC input is stereo (if you need this).

Here is what my how my cartridge measure with azimuth properly set, note that one channel is at a slightly lower level than the other and some dust probably messed up up one channel a fraction in this first image:

Here the azimuth is out in one direction:

Here azimuth is out in the other direction:

Old 12th March 2011, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Software Oscilloscope

Well I have just tried to install the scope it tell me no sound card was found I am using windows 7 my sound card is High Definition Audio Device which is built in on the mother board

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 12th March 2011, 06:50 PM

Try the 1.40 beta version? Maybe that's more 7 friendly? My installation was on an XP laptop, motherboard soundcard.
Old 12th March 2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well I won’t be using this I afraid both versions do not run in windows 7 IE blocks versions 1.40 plus there’s no uninstall plus it puts files very where I now have to clean my reg out full of spy-ware do not go near this

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 12th March 2011, 08:06 PM

Question Re: Software Oscilloscope

As well as the above. What is the input impedance and is it static over the frequency range. And also the frequency response, is it flat and does it stay flat at all input levels? And is the input floating from ground?

Regards

Dave
Old 12th March 2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
As well as the above. What is the input impedance and is it static over the frequency range. And also the frequency response, is it flat and does it stay flat at all input levels? And is the input floating from ground?
The input is the input of your sound car, so only you can answer those questions.

My only problem with using a sound card for setting up the phono, is you need to be able to see the square wave response and I would think that at least 200kHz bandwidth would be needed to get any meaningful results. You also need a source of square waves and a inverse riaa circuit of some sort.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post

Regards

Dave
The soundcard was plugged into my preamp "record out".
Old 12th March 2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Well I won’t be using this I afraid both versions do not run in windows 7 IE blocks versions 1.40 plus there’s no uninstall plus it puts files very where I now have to clean my reg out full of spy-ware do not go near this
I'm not surprised this freeware uses cookies to keep track of usage. They'll want to ensure any commercial usage is logged.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yep no worries thou
I have seen thing about reverse riaa somewhere and which i have just found it again if its what is meant by reverse riaa it maybe of interest http://sound.westhost.com/project80.htm

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 12th March 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
I use "Agent Ransack" for finding and removing files where no other method works.

And it's free.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.