World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: do you have an SE amp that's not loud enough?
yes i want more welly... 14 60.87%
well i've got PP but i wouldn't mind some more.... 4 17.39%
size is a problem... 3 13.04%
yes and a crossover that sucks all the life out...... 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st December 2005, 11:54 AM

Default high sensitivity speaker that moves air....

i would like a 94db+ speaker
with minimal crossover
that moves serious air
and sounds very good indeed

dave dove
Old 31st December 2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: high sensitivity speaker that moves air....

Yes, that would be a nice thing to have, I read the first installment on the new speaker in HFW, but I can't see what sensitivity it is. I was going to add this to the high power SET poll, A high efficiency speaker would allow for some interesting amps, a 211 at 600v for instance sounds rather great.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 31st December 2005, 12:16 PM

Seconded. At the moment I am considering the AN/E speaker kit, and would gladly welcome a WD version that was of a similar spec, sensitivity and performance if the price was right, AND it came with the option of buying the panels to make the cabinet a la IPL. A flatpack kit if you like. Just add glue and veneer of choice. The only thing stopping me getting the AN/E at the moment, is the fact I will have to get the wood cut for the cabinets. This in itself is not totally off-putting though, as it is one of the only high sensitivity, "conventional" speaker kits available, and it will be the way I go, if I can manage to hear a pair in action. I think the world could do with more kits like this, especially to partner low powered SE amplifiers. Cheers.
Old 31st December 2005, 12:45 PM

This is one of my bete-noirs! Having played with high sensitivity speakers, ending up with the 95dB Pilastro for Mission, I really like the dynamics of high efficiency systems, whether for low or high powered amps.

However there are compromises to be made. The first WD design, the WD25A, hits 89dB with an easy drive 6 Ohm load. This is from a 10 inch bass unit in a compact enclosure.

Basically the higher the efficiency the poorer the bass response. We'll be investigating this in future designs to show the trade offs more clearly. At present the only way to hit 94-96dB with an easy drive load (Pilastro dipped to 2.7 Ohms) and extended bass performance is to crossover to a powered subwoofer.

I could go on, but I think I'll leave it for discussion in the Hi-Fi World DIY Supplement and explore the possibilities there.

Finally it is our intention to offer cut panels (or, possibly, complete cabinets) for most of the speaker kits we are developing. I'm sorting a price out for the WD25A now, and this will appear on the price list when I have it.
Old 31st December 2005, 01:00 PM

excellent news.

I have an agreement with wood (and mdf) in that I don't work with it and it doesn't split

I'd be more willing to consider a loudspeaker kit if it was possible to buy all the pre-cut bits and assemble them like flatpack furniture, then do all the 'easy' electronic stuff.
Old 31st December 2005, 01:05 PM

Hearty second for that!

Wood and I just don't get on. I would love to buy a kit complete with panels. If 'twere in MDF then I could veneer or otherwise finish it to my own tastes,

Mark
Old 31st December 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi Guys

The speaker kit looks very interesting. I too have looked at the AN-E, but its a bit big for my room and is designed for corner placing, so I would have to move all my furniture around, which no doubt, would displease she who must be obeyed!! So the kit looks a good size and I already have stands.

I built a pair of Fostex FE167's into a bass reflex enclosure during the summer. In many ways they are very good, but I've gone back to my Ruark floorstanders which are more balanced.

I did not get on very well with the woodwork side of things. The trouble is you get the wood cut accurately, but when it comes to sticking all the pieces together it goes slightky out of square so you end up having to do loads of sanding to get the thing half decent. Perhaps a flat pack kit would address this issue, or someone could suggest the secret of sticking it all together.

Regards

Dave
Old 31st December 2005, 02:20 PM

I would love to see a three way floor standing design, with Ribbon tweeter and floor port vent. Something that is going to fit into and drive a typical UK sized living room. Something like a cross between the old Heybrook Sextet and the Elac 207.2 would be heaven!

Needs to stand about 90cm tall, have a narrow front panel with radius edges and able to work with its front panel 2ft from the rear wall, overall 6Ohm impeadance, none reactive curve and 87-90db. If I could find something like this now I would buy it on the spot! Pretty please!
Old 31st December 2005, 04:14 PM

Just a quick post to second Neal's suggestion! He has summed up my thoughts exactly!

James.
Old 31st December 2005, 04:25 PM
Lord.

Wink Re: high sensitivity speaker that moves air....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG
I would love to see a three way floor standing design, with Ribbon tweeter and floor port vent. Something that is going to fit into and drive a typical UK sized living room. Something like a cross between the old Heybrook Sextet and the Elac 207.2 would be heaven!

Needs to stand about 90cm tall, have a narrow front panel with radius edges and able to work with its front panel 2ft from the rear wall, overall 6Ohm impeadance, none reactive curve and 87-90db. If I could find something like this now I would buy it on the spot! Pretty please!
Agreed Neal, but let's make it 91-92dB/w/m and let it dip to 4Ohms (that's what transformer taps are for!). I'll let you start a new thread and poll for this one!

Thanks to Peter for outlining the compromises involved with high-sensitivity 'speakers. Some may only listen to the midband but I like those frequency extremes, especially the sparkly ones. I'll think before voting on this thread...