World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 1st December 2006, 10:55 AM

Default Hi-Fi World's Christmas Present List

If you are like me your loved ones will have difficulty in finding new and exciting Christmas presents this year. After all what do you give the hi-fi enthusiast who has everything? (Answers on a postcard, please!).

The editors of Hi-Fi World have come up with the answer. In this month's issue (January) they have cobbled together a list of favourite items that they, themselves, would love to see in their Christmas stocking. Thankfully several of those items are supplied by our catalogue.

Now all you have to do is to leave this month's copy of HFW lying around where it can be seen by anyone who might love you enough to buy you a new digitally controlled soldering iron station or Fluke true RMS multimeter. Or the kids might give you a cartridge mounting kit or 21 piece toolkit. A circle round the 'wanted' items will act as a highlighted prompt.

We've even made it easier for the pressie buyers. All they have to do is look for the sprig of holly in the pictures in our catalogue. Just click on this link to see what I mean http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Now that's what I call a hint in the right direction!

Happy Christmas.
Old 5th December 2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hi-Fi World's Christmas Present List

An excellent book selection Peter! I'm torn between the new Morgan Jones 3 and the JLH Valve and Transistor Amps.

I've got MJ edition 2, does anyone have that and the new one? Is it a worthwhile upgrade or just a good book if you've not yet got it?

What about JLH? What valve content and does the ss look interesting? Any construction projects in there?

Rich
Old 5th December 2006, 02:09 PM

Given a toss up between the two, the coin lands in favour of the JLH if you already have MJ2. JLH's book is all about putting theory into practice and discusses most of the circuit configurations in audio, both valve and transistor, including looking at famous manufacturer's circuits. I found it a fascinating book (if you like looking at, and discussing, circuit techniques).

There aren't any actual construction projects as such, but the circuits are detailed if you want to choose your own components and come up with a suitable layout.
Old 6th December 2006, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Peter, I've gone for the JLH which I'm sure my daughter will enjoy giving me for Christmas . Easy purchase online btw, works very smoothly.

Looking down the booklist again I was pleased to see the Chas Miller book but didn't see Bruce Rozenblit Beginners Guide. Is it out of print or not one you keep for other reasons? Must say I rate it highly.

Rich
Old 6th December 2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

as i don't have a MJ book but i intend getting one but which one is best to go for i would prefer to build and gain knowledge that way rather than all theory stuff as first

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 6th December 2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn2
as i don't have a MJ book but i intend getting one but which one is best to go for i would prefer to build and gain knowledge that way rather than all theory stuff as first
You need both .

Seriously, though, the MJ book Valve Amplifiers covers a lot of practical aspects of designing and building valve circuits. You can learn most of what you need to know from this one book alone. It is certainly the best book to start with.

Building Valve Amplifiers is a companion book to the above and covers the practice and detail of how to physically make up a project, how to lay the wiring and components out, and the pitfalls of inter-wiring capacitance and interference and component heat problems and so forth. A large part of the book is devoted to testing and fault finding.

Like I say it is nice to have both, but I would say that Valve Amplifiers is the one to start with as it gives circuits that you can build as well as explaining the theory behind them.
Old 6th December 2006, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

thanks Peter
I will be getting both the MJ Books but one at a time i think theres a third edition out or about to come out will you be adding it to the catalogue

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 7th December 2006, 02:28 PM

It is the Third Edition that is in our catalogue, thanks.

We will also be adding Ian Sinclair's Practical Electronics Handbook - 6th Edition - a neat practical guide to electronics and components, though mainly aimed at modern SS circuits.