World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 21st July 2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Squeezer - Squeezebox control app

I had to get a new phone when the old one bit the dust. It's Android 6 instead of 4 and the Logitech Squeezebox Controller app no longer works. Nor any updates. Lots of alternative apps out there, a few free, many chargeable. I tried a couple and Squeezer (open source - droid in orange square icon) did everything except playing through an album, it just seemed to play the song selected.

I nearly gave up with it but - and here is the reason for posting - found it is much more sophisticated than first appears. Persist and it's great, a few pointers are,

albums and songs are always loaded into the playlist before playing so get used to checking in there to see what it's up to and clear it to start again if you're lost

the way you drill down to a track (via Artists, Albums, or Music Folder) dictates the way the folders open or play and tag info etc. I use Artists which gives a "Play from here" option

get familiar with "settings" which are deceptively simple. I set both Album and Song action to "play" to get all the features.

The key to it all then is the different touches available on the album or song. A tap on the text will play but a tap and hold above the triangle brings up a load of different options a bit like right clicking. For instance, a tap on the album will load it into playlist and play the whole lot, but a tap and hold will let you browse the album and then a tap and hold on a song lets you choose "Play from here" etc

It takes a couple of evenings but it really is good. A couple of other things to mention when opening the app are to make sure the Touch is switched on or it won't find it(!) This sounds daft but we have a Boom in the kitchen which is on all the time so the app finds it first and I'm left there wondering why it won't work the Touch - switch to Touch top left when using the hifi. If it doesn't connect then go settings, disconnect then reconnect and it will find it.

So a big thumbs up for this excellent app which sounds a bit clunky but is actually very fast and full featured now I've learned how to use it Maybe this will help others in the same boat as the Logitech app disappears.