World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 1st June 2022, 01:32 PM
WD Archivist

Default Return of Heybrook

It seems Peter is still keeping his hand in.

https://heybrookhifi.co.uk/
Old 1st June 2022, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Return of Heybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
It seems Peter is still keeping his hand in.

https://heybrookhifi.co.uk/
I know some will disagree with me here that's fine

Well I normally support peters work with bringing back British HiFi in the UK but I think he has overdone it a bit here
Both the Speaker and stand design have moved away from the originals in my view too much
In 1983 I think their cost was in the reign of around £250 or less with the stands but don’t quote me on that it been a long time since I had The HB1s and in my view, the cost of them now is over the top at £2.750 plus £750 for the stands I could not justify paying that today
Sorry peter but I still support what you are doing but not at this cost for the HB1s
But it’s just my view on this occasion with this HB1 Model
colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 1st June 2022, 11:11 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, it’s interesting. I understand they sold for £127 without stands in 1983. A U.K. inflation calculator makes that £394.54 in todays money. The current price seems to reflect a trend I’ve observed over recent years of kit becoming more and more expensive. Fancy a new Linn LP12 for £23,300? Maybe this is because less and less is being sold and the industry responds by continually inflating the retail price. No wonder the Munich Show is now called ‘High End’. Anyway, it’s got to be good news for DIYers and makes WD products absolute bargains.
Old 1st June 2022, 11:29 PM

I was thinking the same as Greg.
In 1983 every self-respecting young person who aspired to rise above a music centre had to have (budget) hifi separates.
Nowadays I suspect that popular fashion has moved on. And probably with housing costs, is now still living with mum and dad, without room or tolerance for full size hi-fi set-up.
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:00 AM

Hi all.

Have to agree here. Been reading the snippets from the high end show reports. Some of the boxes on display cost upwards of 1/2 a million. Add in a 300K dac and 700K speakers for a streaming solution. P.S. Wifi module 10K addon. Vinyl, no probs add 800K....

Who the hell can afford that system, or anything like it?
Seems I will never even be able to afford a ticket to the show, let alone buy anything.
Oh well back to the scrappers and ebay.....

ONE LOVE
Old 2nd June 2022, 07:11 AM

Yes, I also agree with price hikes, my LP12 purchased in 1980 was almost £500, many upgrades and improvements has taken place over the years, but now the top LP12 is at a stupid price, as for Peter's speakers, I have listened to a lot of them, all sounded too thin to me with poor bass. Bob
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:42 AM
WD Archivist

I suppose we should expect these reworked HB1’s to be generally more expensive. It would be interesting to know the driver manufacturer. 22mm dense MDF (Baltic Birch Plywood would probably have been better) cabinets, natural sheep wool damping and bespoke drivers. The actual relationship to the originals is probably in designer and name only, so fundamentally, a completely different speaker. Maybe that’s how the 2022 price is justified albeit incorporating current profit margins.
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:59 AM

They’re just down the road from me, will have to drop in and have a nose about.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yes good luck to Peter, I haven’t heard these and the other re-issues like Lintons and 770s so I don’t know how good they are but I heard and owned the originals and nice examples are still enjoyable today.

My first Linton 2’s were mint second-hand in 1977 for £20 (about £150 today) and a pair of Kef Corellis new in 1978 was around £140 (about £900 now).
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Yep I have begun to lose my 40 plus years of interest in HiFi with this kind of prices of gear today I wouldn't be going there today

The regas /linns ARs Arcams and others of the day are what got me into the HiFi dealers when I'd began to be able to afford it as opposed to window shopping and dreaming and nowadays it looks like I am full circle and back to window shopping and dreaming in my last remaining HiFi Shop that’s selling TVs to try to stay alive
colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member