World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 1st April 2020, 04:55 PM

Default Valves inc Russian for Phono2 and 3

i think I have the originals somewhere, for the phono II. i replaced them at some point with sylvania... if i've got the lid off time to try them out again they were JJ tubes but not sure which version.
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Kat6550

The jj 803S are the best of the few current manufacture I've tried, I have them in my Phono.

Phil.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes I've still got my Phono JJ ECC83S and thought they were good valves. I was using GE5751 warm and full sounding, and EI ECC83 very dynamic and clear. I'd certainly give any of them a go again if I was still using it. Much is just "flavour" depending on the system, especially with a vinyl set up, so it's good to try previous valves before buying more again.

I've also got a load of 6H2n-EB from other projects which are a lovely valve. A joy to behold the looks! 3 are banded together for Phono but it needed a small re-wire for the heaters - not hard as the heater wiring is separately connected to the pcb - but I never got around to it. The adaptors look good but I don't think the cover will fit on Phono with them.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:08 PM

Just in case there is any confusion here, the JJ 803s are not the same as the "standard" JJ 83. The 803s are JJs premium offering with claimed tighter tolerance and generally high spec.

They are on the JJ website, also listed are gold pin versions that seem to be not available anywhere I have seen, in the UK at least.

Phil.
Old 15th April 2020, 02:26 PM

Well i had a look in my box of valves and dug out the JJs, and yes, perfectly good. Standard ecc83, but after a day or two i went back to the sylvanias, they just provide a little more weight to the lower mids and bottom end

however some russians arrived, 6h2n-EB (in russian) 6n2P-eV in english with a rocket on the box....

they are indeed Nice, nothing about them shows shoddiness of any nature nothing looks, a bit wonky, so to avoid undue messing with the PCB i invested in a set of converters from china.

These as far as i can tell, remove the centre tap pin 9 of the ECC83 heater from the equation. These valves need a 6.3 AC or DC supply and instead use pins 4 and 5 for +6.3 and 0 volts. So i presume the converter base links pin 5 to pin 9 of the original socket and leaves the shield at pin 9 on these valves floating or tied to something else.

they have a shield between the triode sections like that rare mullard valve that i always forget the name of E8??CC that is an ECC83 with totally different pinout and a 6.3 volt heater

anyway they work very well. nothing looks amiss in the power supply either the sound is subtly different but again i do like it, i can certainly live with these and have that feeling that they will grow to be a favorite, only 3-4 hours on them at the mo, but as stated by richard i can't get the lid on.....

so next move is chinese PCB valve converter prototype board

2 types 3 square breadboards with 9 pairs of screw terminals, 4mm stand off feet, and a nice ceramic 9 pin socket. These will be mounted to the rear of the front plate in a row, or up the back where the step-up txs would go if i was equipped for moving coil.

and a set of 7 or 8 to 9 pin converter boards, using pins out of an old serial lead will be pressed into use as plugs to go in the original sockets...
unless anyone knows a supplier of the old style 9 pin valve socket Plugs used to provide off chassis power to add on devices like MPX boards in tuners....

the other set that arrived today are pencil tubes, 6N17B-V, V is the mark of the military again. these were made for the analogue electronic computers in 1970s/80s russian missiles.

they come in much like a ecc83 just not quite the same amplification and with the russian 6.3v heater problem when you want to use a ECC83 socket.
the rest seems to match up ok with an ECC83 as far as i can tell probably 75% of the gain of a set of ecc83s
so tiny and cute
I can't not give them a try....

if you get the urge, again the chinese prototype board for converting 8 pin tubes to 9 pin sockets is key.. i'll have no problem getting the lid on with valves from lilliput.....
nice gold grids as well ....

Pin 1 on these tiny things is marked in 2 ways

1) Pin 1 is marked by a printed rhombus with an N in it, the lower point of the rhombus markes lead one on the valve
2) on the base...and my eyes are dim....with my glasses a magnifier and a strong light. somebody has imprinted a tiny - in the valve base, 1 end is closer to pin 1 than pin 5 so if the printing is all to cock you can still find pin 1

obviously check continuity between what you think is 4 and 8 to be sure.

if it all ends in tears and smoke, its my own fault but its keeping me occupied....

Dave
Old 15th April 2020, 08:42 PM

If you got a new board from Matthew (phono III) you can connect the heater tabs to 4-5 and 9 or any combination you want, that will enable the lid to fit and it has the added advantage of the 3.18uS correction, low filters if you wish and adjustment for the 75uS capacitance, also added HT capacitance and it will fit you II case. Bob
Old 15th April 2020, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, you can just rewire the heater links on the old pcb also I think
Old 16th April 2020, 07:55 AM

Yes you can Richard, but you need to cut the tracks at pin 4 and 5 and this board is also very poorly made compared to the new one. Bob
Old 16th April 2020, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

It’s the same pinout as ECC88.

Whichever version of the pcb you have or if you go for a new pcb as Bob suggests,

remove the heater wires,

separate any 4+5 connection be it a wire link or a pcb track (a craft knife and small sharp screwdriver will neatly cut a track and can be bridged later if required),

remove the heater wire from pin 9.

Re-wire with the 2 heater wires for each valve going to pins 4 and 5.

Pin 9 on the Russian is a shield and not needed at audio frequencies.

Data attached, pinout views from underneath, if not sure ask or don’t do

The adaptors should be good for seeing if you like the new valves then it costs nothing except time to re-wire so you can get the cover back on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeaterPinouts.jpg (51.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 16th April 2020, 04:43 PM

ah ha, a data sheet in english Nice! i have one in russian with sparse english notes...handy indeed.

I think i might investigate a Phono III board like Bob suggested. Sounds like an upgrade with spaces for components included in the "phono ii mods section" and with less risk. i can then sever tracks if necessary without feeling like i'm taking a knife to an amp that cost me much the same in shipping import and GST(VAT) as it did in parts ( I lived in Oz at the time)..

Richard you have me sussed.. "Ask or Don't do" is very good advice

Dave