World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 26th July 2019, 01:12 PM

Default Mundorf Mlytic HV caps

Hello all,

Just thought I would report my experience with the above caps.
Some while back I replaced the main PSU cap in my Phono with one of these and was very pleased with the result. A couple of experiences since with tired caps made me decide to replace the 4 PSU electrolytics in my KaT88. I had no particular reason to suspect the fitted ones as everything was working OK but they were nearly 20 years old and seen a lot of use.
I have to say it was well worth the effort. Clarity and smoothness has been improved greatly, it sounds (to use the old cliche) like a dirty window has been given a good clean.
I would certainly use these caps again and I think, on the strength of the results i've had, they are good value for money. Also, the one thing they are not, is brighter sounding. If anything, the sound seems slightly less bright, though it may just be that the greater smoothness has made the treble less "obvious".

Just for reference, they replaced 2 x 470uF Rifa and 2 x 100uF Philips.

Phil.
Old 27th July 2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Mundorf Mlytic HV caps Kit/Kat88

Morning Phil,

That's good info and the new caps should provide better stability for the future life of the equipment.

These Mundorfs look good spec and with long life. Any problems fitting or do they fit straight on the Kit/Kat88 pcb? Were they;

MLGO450-010 100uF 450V 25mm (diameter) x 30mm (height) Radial

and

MLGO450-050 470uF 450V 35mm (diameter) x 50mm (height) Radial ?

Thoughts are these details may be useful for others looking to do theirs

(My own exp of Mundorf is just of their Ecap bipolars for crossovers. Your description of good clarity and smoothness is the same as I found with those. Having just done one set of speakers with polyester caps and liking the result I was a bit disapointed to find another set of speakers used some cap values too large to use all polyesters. Alcaps are in short supply these days so I went for the Mundorf Ecaps and am very pleased at how good they sound.)
Old 27th July 2019, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Mundorf Mlytic HV caps

... is it worth mentioning that I have quite a few Alcaps in stock?

Sod's law says I won't have the particular value you want - but its' always worth asking!

Matthew
Old 27th July 2019, 11:31 AM

Hello Richard,

Yes, those are the ones I used. Fitting was easy, the pins are on the correct pitch and the overall size of the caps was fine. The pins are straight rather than kinked like a traditional "snap-in" type but obviously that is not a problem. They are also supplied with a double sided sticky pad on the bottom to give some extra mechanical stability.

Phil.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Snell View Post
... is it worth mentioning that I have quite a few Alcaps in stock?

Sod's law says I won't have the particular value you want - but its' always worth asking!

Matthew

Thanks Matthew, yes I did look on here but found no Alcaps and polyprops are too large in 10uF and 30uF values. I was told Alcaps haven't been made for over a year so I'm sure a list of yours would be welcome
Old 27th July 2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
Hello Richard,

Yes, those are the ones I used. Fitting was easy, the pins are on the correct pitch and the overall size of the caps was fine. The pins are straight rather than kinked like a traditional "snap-in" type but obviously that is not a problem. They are also supplied with a double sided sticky pad on the bottom to give some extra mechanical stability.

Phil.

Great thanks Phil, it may well help someone as these amps are all a few years old now, time flies!
Old 8th November 2019, 01:41 PM

Hey Phil,

Just to let you know that following your lead on these caps Greg of this parish changed mine in my KiT6550 yesterday.

To say they have made a difference is an understatement. As you reported its like someone has opened a window. The level of improved detail and tonality is just so much better and as you reported its a very smooth sound.

I guess my old PSU caps must have been a little tired to say the least! At the risk of going a little OTT this reminds me of listening to a flagship amp next to the same companies entry level offering. Ok, perhaps a little OTT
Old 8th November 2019, 06:31 PM

Glad to hear they are working for you,

It is always a bit of a worry recommending something like this as you never know if someone else's ears and taste will be the same as your own!
Having a second opinion will perhaps give others more confidence to try them if they are in need of new PSU caps so thanks for sharing your impressions.

Phil.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:31 PM

Hey Phil,

I'm still gobbed smacked at what an improvement these caps have made to my KiT6550.

I was wondering if you felt changing the main PSU cap in your phono made a similar improvement?
Old 12th November 2019, 06:31 PM

Hi Intenso,

Yes, good aren't they! I was quite taken aback after fitting them in my power amp.

As to Phono, the "quality" of the change was similar but quantity of improvement was a little less I would say. The PSU in a Phono is of course a different situation and the circuit will be different so you should not expect identical results. The condition of the existing caps is another variable.

Having said that, was it worth the effort of changing? Yes, it was for me. It was after all, the experience with my Phono that led me to fit Mundorfs in my Kat88 rather than something else.

Phil