World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 1st January 2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Squeezer 1.5.1 App on Android 8

Just a quick post for anyone using version 1.5.1 of Squeezer App for control of SB Touch, Boom, etc, to say it works perfectly (for me anyway) on Android 8

Since losing use of the original Logitec app with a previous update of Android OS I've tried a few apps and changing OS has been a concern but this is the best yet (home wi-fi network using remote PC server with phone control of SB Touch and Boom all via wireless). It's very stable, fast, fluid, doesn't drop or hang, connects immediately - ooer probably jinxed it now many thanks to the authours!
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Squeezer 1.5.1 App on Android 8

It has been said that the SB Touch is old hat these days with all the Raspberry Pi and DAC variations, but I still like my Touch.

I now use a Beresford Caimen SEG DAC.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Morning Philip and happy new year. Yes, I'm still very pleased with the sound. My SBT is running Triode's Enhanced Digital Output app which works great and allows USB asynchronous connection to a Mk1 Arcam irdac. The pleasant surprise now is finding the Squeezer app working so well with latest Android
Old 5th November 2019, 02:26 PM

I'm about to try this app Richard for my SB touch. New Motorola Play 5e Android phone.
I'm struggling with getting to grips with the whole network audio , my technophobic geriatric brain doesn't get computer stuff at all.
But we would like to get some sort of integrated networked entertainment.
So how do you get media files off a Computer/hard drive and into the squeezebox and thus to DAC and Stereo? It used to work via iTunes but I believe that its now discontinued or about to be?
I'm using the SB as the interface to the DAC as I don't want to have a computer cluttering up the equipment shelf. Mostly I still listen to LPs or CD so the SB etc is for more casual use and also for streaming internet radio, and that seems to have gone worse since the BBC "improved" their streaming.

Andy.
Old 5th November 2019, 03:17 PM

Its a waste of time, I can't even work out how to get the blessed thing to talk to my phone or do anything more than stream crappy MP3 radio at low bitrates. This really has to be one of the most useless items of kit I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I used it in the past with my old Phone and it would play music off a networked PC HDD or a USB connected offboard HDD, I had to use iTunes though to get files off the home PC. I'm going round in circles and its heading for the bin if I can't get it to work without a bloody rigmarole of setups.
Bloody hell this is progress? I pop a CD in the player and I get music without any pain...………… If it wasn't for the fact that theres no FM signal worth using here even with a bloody great big Ron Smith aerial I'd have given up ages ago, at least I can get radio down the freeview but that entails switching the telly on.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Evening Andy. What's a waste of time, the Squeezer app or the Squeezebox?

The app is easy to load; search Squeezer from Play Store, it's the orange square icon with white android in it.

The app controls Squeezebox via wifi and will list the music files and radio links available.

You also need a PC or server to hold the music files and connect to the web if you want to stream from outside, ie radio stations or music services.

On this PC/server you load LMS - Logitech Media Server, which is a free server programme. In library you point LMS to your music files held on the PC hard drive.

So you now have,

1) A PC/server holding your FLAC/MP3 music files and which can connect to the outside world for radio,

2) LMS server software on the PC/server which knows where your music files are,

3) Squeezer app on your phone to view and select the music,

4) Squeezebox Touch connected (via DAC if reqd) to your hifi.

All talks to each other via wifi.

Forget any Logitech website or connections as (I think) they don't stream or do radio anymore. You are looking to set up local FLAC music replay and radio stations via their web URLs.

It sounds complicated but it's just a case of familiarity and will take a bit of getting used to. Start with 5 CDs. Rip them to FLAC and file them in your music folder on the PC. Open LMS and point them to the CDs in the library. Open squeezer on the phone, select and play.

Take each step separately and ask anyone here specific questions
Old 5th November 2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Here are some links to useful software,

Squeezer app from Play Store version 1.5.4 for controlling Squeezebox

LMS - Logitech Media Server
https://mysqueezebox.com/download
LMS latest nightly builds,
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Nightly_Builds

Squeezebox Touch latest firmware or EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) is loaded from SBT; Settings > Audio Settings > Digital Output

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) CD ripper for converting CDs to FLACS or MP3s
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde...rces/download/

Mp3tag for editing tags on audio files
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

FlacSquisher for converting FLAC to MP3 at various compressions
https://sourceforge.net/projects/flacsquisher/

Foobar 2000 stand alone player for playing FLACs and MP3s directly from the computer
https://www.foobar2000.org/download
Old 5th November 2019, 11:32 PM

Thanks Richard,
I have to admit it's doing my nut. I got the mysqueezebox.com to load on the netbook that I use these days. I just don't seem to be able to make the squeezebox itself log into the household network. User friendly this modern stuff ain't.
I've capitulated and have bribed No2 nephew who is an IT bod to pop over on Saturday and get this network stuff sorted out.
I'm a total duffer when it comes to anything internet or computer. It took me 2 weeks to get the wifes internet Bluetooth speaker thing going and it still goes deaf frequently even though its 12 feet away from the BT hub with a guaranteed 70Mb connection. Perhaps not so strangely whenever the microwave is switched on.
Watch this space...…...…......
Old 6th November 2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Andy, there are many small details in getting it up and running which I forget after a while so will just post chunks as they occur to me and hope the mist clears as you get more familiar with the product and terminology

Regarding mysqueezebox.com

When originally setting up years ago I did create an account on mysqueezebox.com and then entered the log-in details on LMS when I loaded it on the PC/server.

Normally I don't go to mysqueezebox.com and am not logged into it. The Internet Radio stations still all come up on the Squeezer app without further attention but whether that still depends on mysqueezebox.com connecting in the background or whether they are stand alone URL links I don't know.

I've just logged into mysqueezebox.com for a look around and it has my (3) players listed with latest firmware info (including a recently added Touch not added by me to the site) so perhaps it gets the info from LMS running on the PC.

Perhaps someone can help with what mysqueezebox.com is needed for. I'm concerned that if the site was pulled by Logitech would LMS continue to work for FLAC and radio replay on SBT?

On a brighter note, LMS offers latest updates in the Advanced tab and has just updated to WEST2019 on Nov 2nd. These I think will be the latest nightly builds and it's great that they are still being updated and maintained - thank you!
Old 6th November 2019, 01:47 PM

bikerhifinut

I use SB Touch and Squeezer on my phone (as well as a Pi with Volumio which has a particularly straight forward set up and a good, free, Android app).

Rather than messing with Logitech media server, a computer, a phone and a Touch, you may find it easier to start with just a phone and a Touch :

1. Put some music on a USB stick, in .wav file format. Plug it into the Touch. The Touch has its own mini version of Logitech Media Server built in. It will automatically scan the stick when you plug it in. It can take a while for it to scan the stick.

2. Input your wifi password to the Touch.

3. Download the free Squeezer app to your phone from Google Play store

4. Install Squeezer on your phone.

5. Start Squeezer on your phone. It will find the Touch automatically and you will see the music on the stick. You can then control the Touch from your phone.

If you don't feel up to the above, then your nephew may find the above easier because it's a list of stuff kids do all the time these days.

Mark