World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 23rd February 2006, 07:01 PM

Default scam???

dunno where to put this, bit off topic, sorry if its not the right place, but had a call from the bank supposedly, saying....this is so and so from ,,,name of bank, for security what's your date of birth, then they said they were recording the call, at which point I said, please don't, pardon, I said please don't, to which she replied, we record all calls, so I have to terminate the call, goodbye and hung up, very abruptly.

I don't think it was dodgy, but the manner in which she hung up was very impolite.

I don't like my voice getting recorded, and certainly not for training, as its my property, and they aren 't paying me....I would urge all others to ask if they are recording, too, as they don't ask for your permission to use your property and pay you royalties...that's by the by.
Old 23rd February 2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: scam???

Doesn't bother me.
Old 23rd February 2006, 08:10 PM

Sounds dodgy to me Ian. Why would your bank ring you and request your dob.? Did you disclose it? IF the same happened to me I would give a false date and await their response.
Old 23rd February 2006, 10:10 PM

In my experience its normal for a bank or insurance company to verify your identity, when you want confidential information from them.
But this is the other way round.
If a bank or whatever rang me and casually asked for details, without good reason then I would have reacted in a similar manner.
Old 24th February 2006, 01:48 AM
WD Archivist

Exactly. Our banks do quite legitamately cold call us, but then ask us to confirm our security details without doing anything to authenticate their own pedigree. I don't play their game and refuse to co-operate, pointing out to them the flaw in their system. I then suggest that if the contact is important they can always write to me. I always point out the weakness in their approach and the call handler states they'll report to their manager, but nothing changes. They probably don't report back and there are sufficient gullible punters out there readily sucked in that the likes of me who question security can be sidelined. I've never had a postal contact as a result of one of these calls I've not co-operated with. Therefore it's pure sales and as usual, follows the least course of resistance. There are plenty of punters sucked in and those of us who make things difficult by asking questions just get rejected into the 'Too hard to do basket'.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 24th February 2006, 09:25 AM

if somone asks for my card number I am going to tell them, but change some numbers, and say not sure what the security no. is, can I call you back!! then report to the cops., if they are gullible enuff!!