World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 12th January 2012, 09:31 PM

Default Linn Troika replacement

Suggestions please for a short list for a replacement for my elderly Linn Troika. The new cartridge will sit in my Ittok LVII and be spun by my LP12 with a Hercules power supply.

I heard a Dynavector 20-X2 on an LP12 the other day, liked it and realized my Troika has lost some of the sparkle & pace. Still OK in the lower registers though. Other worthy contenders for a listening short list?

The cartridge will feed my Phono3, can be MM or MC but I can't imagine a MM cutting the mustard these days.

Budget is <£1000 or the car may have to go!

Thanks in advance.

F.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Linn Troika replacement

Hi F., at that price the only contender is what I use in my LP12 and Phono 3, the only difrence is my Linn sports a SME 4, Ortofon cadenza blue, fantastic.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:09 PM
WD Archivist

If it was mine I'd be contacting http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/
Speak to Dominic Harper and discuss getting you Troika properly serviced and probably upgraded. You'll save a big amount of your available budget
Old 14th January 2012, 06:49 PM

Greg and Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard and experienced that rebuilds aren't always hugely successful. I had the Troika rebuilt about 8 years ago & never felt quite as comfortable with it.

Mind you, I've just changed the interconnect between the Phono3 & pre with interesting results. I swapped from a home built cable with chunky phonos & Shark silver plated coax to DNM Reson. Everything is a little better, but I still crave more of the early life punch I used to get from the Troika.

And before anyone suggests going back to Naim electronics to boost the punch I'd like to point out the extra detail & smooth top end of the valves especially on digital sources is here to stay!

As the late great Freddie Mercury used to sing - I want it all!

F.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:22 PM

Hi F. yes I think you are correct with regard to cartrige rebuilds, however if you can get a demo. of the Ortofon, I feel you may just give up on the Troika, I too like a smooth but detailed sound and they don't come much better than the Ortofon. BOB
Old 15th January 2012, 09:31 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieT View Post
I have heard and experienced that rebuilds aren't always hugely successful. I had the Troika rebuilt about 8 years ago & never felt quite as comfortable with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
yes I think you are correct with regard to cartrige rebuilds
I've not yet heard any criticism of Domonic's work rebuilding cartridges. Quite the contarary infact. Furthermore, he can offer upgrade options above and beyond the original build. I understand your sceptism, but I wouldn't dismiss my suggestion without further consideration and at least it's worth a phone call to Northwest Analogue to discuss the potential. Incidentally, one of the most recent cartridges Dom restored was a Troika and the owner is chuffed to bits with the outcome.
Old 27th January 2012, 07:09 PM

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not implying that Northwest Analogue wouldn't do a great job, my concern is: what if I don't like the result? Once committed it's hardly a case of try before you buy, although I'd by happy to chat with them about this.

The Dynavector did sound good in the Ittok on a similar spec LP12 - that would be my benchmark.

The good news is that changing the interconnects has helped the system a little so I'm in less of a rush to change things.

F.
Old 16th May 2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieT View Post
Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not implying that Northwest Analogue wouldn't do a great job, my concern is: what if I don't like the result? Once committed it's hardly a case of try before you buy, although I'd by happy to chat with them about this.

The Dynavector did sound good in the Ittok on a similar spec LP12 - that would be my benchmark.

The good news is that changing the interconnects has helped the system a little so I'm in less of a rush to change things.

F.
Hi F, I'm Natalie Dominic's partner. Firstly, thank you Greg for the support, very kind of you. F, It would be up to you what you wanted to do but I can tell you that Dom recently upgraded a Troika and it sounded very nice indeed. But if it is a new cart you want, I would suggest a Lyra. I have heard a few over the past couple of weeks and the Helikon is a great sounding cart for the money and I have seen a few on ebay for a buy it now price of £600. Also another favorite of mine is a Supex 900, absolute bargain for what these cost. Anyway, depending on where you live, you are more than welcome to come round and have a listen to some of the re-tip Dom has completed.

Natalie

Last edited by Dominic Harper; 16th May 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 30th May 2012, 07:57 PM

Hi Natalie & Dominic,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in less of a rush to replace the cartridge as the Troika is proving itself to be a stayer, for now at least, especially with a subtle tweak to my interconnecting cables and Phono3 valves to put back some of the life. Once upon a time I would have been straight round for a chat as I was a Cheshire resident for many years. These days I'm exiled to the South Coast; but maybe one day I can sneak off from visiting the family or on my way up to the Lakes! I'll let you know if I'm passing.

F.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:59 AM

Talk to Len Gregory (The Cartridge Man Tel: 020 8688 6565) he did a couple of cartridges for me some years ago, one was a clearaudio and I can't remember the other one, they sounded better that originally, great service.
As far as a new one is concerned the Transfiguration Axis is within your budget and a real cracker.
Martin Emmott