World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 16th March 2024, 09:58 PM

Default Noo Toobs

Greetings all.

After twenty years of remarkably good service, my Tung Sol 6550s have arrived at the end of the road.

My hearing is now so poor that replacing like-for-like probably is not financially sensible but in wandering the groves of eBay, I have happened upon these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285642218....c101506.m1851

Does anyone know anything about them? They do have the merit of being substantially cheaper than other types.
Old 17th March 2024, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Noo Toobs

He accepts returns if you aren't happy, but buyer pays postage. There is also the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Royal Mail is £12.40 tracked and signed, £6.55 standard and £6.75 economy (slow boat?). Economy seems to be cheaper than standard for some reason. That is the price for collection from your front door and you buy it online.

I would be interested to hear what you think of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postage.jpg (69.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th March 2024, 10:00 AM

Hi Baggo, hmm, my experiance of goods from that part of the world is not good , however, the price is low, but I could not trust such products to be packed and shiped safely and if you did have a problem with damaged goods, well, I think you would be stuck with the problem, I still say that JJs from Hot-Rox would be a better choice, fair price and well packed, I like mine a lot. Bob
Old 17th March 2024, 06:11 PM

Baggo, They're standard Shuguang Valves.
At that price for a matched quad plus postage I assume, why not approach, for instance, Brimar here in the UK?
Matched pairs £90 each which is a bloody good price for any current KT88 type or equivalent.
In fact I'm as certain as I can be that they will be identical to those eBay jobs. Theres a lot of badges on "new" Valves but dig down and theres 2 or 3 current Manufacturers especially now Russian stuff is not available and shame on you if you buy from that country currently, (NOS from western suppliers or the Ukraine doesn't apply,)
So for only a little bit more you can get them pretty much by return of post, tested, matched and GUARANTEED!!
I've bought EL34 and KT88 from Brimar at shows/swapmeets and they're still giving good service in my amps.
And I can also vouch for their aftersales service. Good honest bunch in my opinion.
Or go for Bob's recommendation on the JJ, They'll likely not disappoint either.

Andy

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 17th March 2024 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 17th March 2024, 06:30 PM

I'm also suspicious of the current crop of 6550.
I think a lot of suppliers sell them as KT88, or maybe the manufacturers only make one valve and market/mark them as either or.
But at £55 a pair from Brimar, I'd be tempted to consider a set to replace KT88.
After all the 6550 was marketed as the US equivalent of the British MO(GEC) KT88 back in the days when Valve gear was ubiquitous.
I'm open minded about the "flavour" of different Valve makes and types. One mans meat and all that..............................

Andy
Old 17th March 2024, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

You could also drop Matthew an email to see what he has available,

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/valves.htm

sales@world-designs.co.uk
Old 17th March 2024, 07:40 PM

Of course, I remember Brimar from many years ago, but had no idea that they were still in production. To find something still made in this country is such a rare experience that I'm compelled to support it and £110 for a 6550 set is a welcome bonus.

After all the 6550 was marketed as the US equivalent of the British MO(GEC) KT88 back in the days when Valve gear was ubiquitous. Andy, back in MY day, it was the KT66 (running as a triode in my Williamsons). 20W sine wave output was pretty powerful when we enjoyed efficient speakers. I see we are now up to the KT90 - inflation strikes again! There was talk some while ago of Tung Sol reviving manufacture in the US where the 6550 started but that seems to have come to nothing.

Anyway, I shall eschew the Oriental pitfalls and get some Brimars. Thank you all for the support.

Old Baggo.
Old 17th March 2024, 08:15 PM

Baggo.
For the avoidance of confusion, Brimar are primarily a reseller of NOS and current manufacture Valves.
The KT88 are most probably Chinese Shuguang jobs with a Brimar badge .
But Brimar say that all their Valves are thoroughly tested before being offered for sale.
They are attempting to set up a valve manufacturing plant here and to that end they scored a load of Mullards old machinery from E Europe where it had been sold after Philips-Mullard ceased valve manufacture.
The latest news on that will be on their website.

Matthew also sells those Brimar KT88 and I am sure he wouldn't market anything that was not up to snuff.

Andy