World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 7th February 2024, 09:54 AM

Default TKD 2CP-2511MC motorised pot.

Hi all, I have asked this question before, but would like to get some more answers, I am thinking of buying the above pot to use in my pre, ( posably the last uprade ) I want to conect it as normal operation, not shunt, the diagram on Hi Fi collectives site looks as though the conections will be the same as an Alps pot, but the wording is in poor english, I do remember someone on here having dificulty with one of these pots. Can somone help please. Bob
Old 7th February 2024, 10:29 AM

Default Re: TKD 2CP-2511MC motorised pot.

Hi Bob

Looks to me like it's saying you can use it "normally" but not as a shunt, but I agree the wording could be better.

Drop Nick Lucas an email on sales@hificollective.co.uk and ask him. He's usually very helpful.

Tim
Old 7th February 2024, 01:44 PM

Thank's Tim, I think you are correct as I have been on other forums that say the same, an email to Nick is good advice. Bob
Old 7th February 2024, 04:53 PM

You might find this of interest https://www.tkd-corp.com/otherpdf/Im...nts_LADDER.pdf
assuming this relates to the potentiometer in question.

Looking at the circuit diagram, I guess that while turning the control, resistances of both top and bottom halves of the divider vary in an odd fashion, which would explain people thinking that it measured weirdly and thinking it was defective. As it obviously works or else they would not sell it, the ratio of top half to bottom half must adjust progressively over the range.
I have not worked out why this complicated circuit should be beneficial. Perhaps it feeds the output from a more constant impedance than a simple pot would, possibly with a view to feeding long studio connections.

Also, if I am correct to suppose the resistance of the "bottom" half of the divider varies in a complicated manner as the slider moves relative to attachment points of the internal shunting resistors, then that would explain why it would not work well in shunt mode with a fixed external resistor.

Or perhaps it is a rather sophisticated version of the pseudo logarithmic potentiometer, which allows the track to be built linear, which I once read has a manufacturing quality advantage. Would require head scratching. Was it you with the mathematically inclined friend?

Last edited by A Stuart; 8th February 2024 at 01:19 AM. Reason: afterthought re pseudo log pot
Old 8th February 2024, 11:19 AM

Well I have just ordered on, I will post when fitted and report my findings. Yes Alastair, I do have the maths man to hand, although it looks like on resistance with resistor taps to 0 volts, could be clever thinking. Bob
Old 13th February 2024, 12:28 PM

Hi all, TKD motorised pot arrived on Saturday, about two hours latter it is in neatly and working. The very first thing that I noticed was a reduction in gain, I now needed to turn the volume control about 80 deg. further to achive the same sound level, this is a very positive point as I had too much gain. So the first album, Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays As falls wichita so falls wichita falls, has lots of piano work and Pats guitar. The bass apeared to sound less powerfull, but latter I found there was less overhange, mid range, vocals, guitars etc are now more fowared in the mix, HF now appeares to exstend almost into infinerty. There is no harshness at all and after five different albums, no fatige, I could have listerned all day, it realy is so good. Over the years I have had very good results from most upgrades, IE regulated power supplys, bulk foil resistors etc, but this pot has produced the best upgrade to date, was it worth the £118.00 ? yes, no question and I am sure it would be benifical to the Pre III and others. Bob