World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

View Poll Results: Which source do you use most?
Vinyl 64 47.76%
CD 44 32.84%
Squeezebox/MP3/Web download 15 11.19%
Radio 11 8.21%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Poll - Vinyl, CD, Squeezebox/MP3, Radio?

My medium of choice is CD.
I download a lot of stuff from iTunes: single tracks rather than albums and burn these to CD to make compilations for my iPod that gets played in the car.
Albums I generally buy on "proper" CDs.

My eyes are not what they were and I've already snapped the cantilever on a much loved Ortofon Rondo Blue due to not being able to see properly what I was doing. Vinyl is featuring less and less these days.

Steve
Old 27th June 2007, 09:27 AM

I had to vote CD, because my vinyl collection has largely been sold off during the late eighties.
This is not to say that i don't like vinyl, just that i made a mistake that is difficult and costly to reverse.
I still have a couple of old turntables left which i may resurrect during the year, just for the hell of it.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:43 AM

1. Squeezebox but DEFINATELY NOT mp3
2. HDD

unfortunately there isnt a category for me.....
sold all the vinyl along with LP12/Ittok in 2002, although it sometimes feels like burned bridges...

Regards

Ed
Old 27th June 2007, 12:44 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

I only listen to vinyl for serious listening...digital sources are not good at all!

I have a CD player but it spends most of it's time on the floor collecting dust!! I will probably sell it and buy some more records.....

Rich.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:29 PM

I play videos through my hifi, and when I watch tv the sound comes from my hifi too. I listen to a lot of cassette tapes. Tv and video gets used the most. Vinyl 2nd. Almost never listen to cd's, in fact I don't think I've used cd player this year!
Mike. Island Of Sodor.
Old 4th July 2007, 09:48 AM

I was (obviously) quite interested in this poll.
I thought the results would be flawed for reasons already pointed out.

But even so, despite that many seem to listen and voted for CD or radio etc when they would really have liked Vinyl as their main source. Vinyl has still come out ahead. I didn't expect it to.

We all know a complete phono stage can be costly to set up, I wonder how the results would have come out if we all had what we desired as a main source?

Interesting results.
Old 4th July 2007, 12:13 PM

probably as a final note to this thread I have to say that I do have a new hankering for a vinyl set-up. Certainly nothing like the Linn set-up that I had, which I wouldn't want to replicate under any circumstances, but something like Will or Simon demonstrated at owstfest...

But, and I know I've banged on about this before....my vinyl collection, I believe, was knackered by having a coal fire for many years.....plus, how much would it cost to buy in excess of 1000 albums just to get back to where I am now....

And

I'm pretty sure that most of the CD based stuff I have now would not be available on vinyl so I would have to resort to used, which may be in a worse state than the stuff I sold in 2002....

maybe I'm just being nostalgic and I envy you guys that have something I can never have again...It took me a long time to be persuaded by the digits argument, but now that I have, I have to at least try and support it....maybe
Old 4th July 2007, 09:36 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

I'm not surprised vinyl came out on top...it's the best source by a long way and growing again in popularity (but not unfortunately at a good enough rate). CD sales are dwindeling and shops are discounting them something rotten to keep up turnover.....!

When something is flawed and peddled as great, it takes a while for people to realise what they have been missing.......Now they have discovered they were conned it has impacted in two ways...

1. They simply download the crappy quality sound from the internet as they may as well get it on the cheap or for nothing.
2. Real hifi is not well enough known to the younger generation and audio as a proper medium for enjoying quality sound in one's own home is selling only to a limited number of people, driving up prices of high quality equipment as volumes come down.

Digital killed the audio industry!!! The record industry only have themselves to blame

Rich.
Old 4th July 2007, 10:03 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Ed,

I'd consider your hankering thoughts well. To build a TT like Will or Simon have will not cost a fortune and it'll out-perform (as theirs do) commecial off the shelf products in the tune of £2000 to £3000 (even with a DL103 ). I'm serious on this. Then think back to the days when there was little money in the pocket but you afforded what you could and as time passed you saw your LP collection growing and growing. Then couple that with a few Saturday mornings doing some boot sales (avoid the dealers and just buy from private sellers) or a round of the charity shops and you'll be surprised how quickly and cheaply a quality library will grow at a very reasonable outlay. You may not replicate the library you once had, but be sure you'll still become very content. All IMHO of course.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 4th July 2007, 10:07 PM

Well said Greg. My sentiments exactly. More or less how my current collection grew after selling the vast majority in the late eighties. Go for it Ed!!