World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > Membership Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Membership Issues For discussion of any issues with membership of this forum

Old 24th March 2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: What's happened to Private Messaging?

OK I give up I am lost I am a moderator then I am not them I am is this all just a dream

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 24th March 2011, 10:11 AM

Colin, dose this mean you are no longer a moderator, or no longer a super moderator, or have I got the wrong end of the stick . BOB
Old 24th March 2011, 10:14 AM

Hello Dave, all,
As a relatively new member to this forum, I, like many others are grateful that you saved WD. The recent occurrence of developing the phonostage, with promise of making the other kits available soon is great news, and of course will generate enthusiasm among the members. But if you have plans to alter/develop the direction of WD, it would be helpful if you could make these ideas clear to this forum. Of course, that was the general intention of the thread 'tell us about yourself'. The forum members need to understand the rationale behind your thinking. Although interesting reading, your 'profile' did not really indicate this. I believe this is what is lacking. I'm sure that everyone who uses this forum is grateful to you for saving WD, but not at the expense of controlling the expression of its users. The operation of this forum could be organised in a more democratic way.
Regards,
Justin.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:17 AM

Wink Re: What's happened to Private Messaging?

Hi Justin

Glad you liked the long bit about me! How about doing one yourself too?

Regards

Dave
Old 24th March 2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Colin, dose this mean you are no longer a moderator, or no longer a super moderator, or have I got the wrong end of the stick . BOB
Hi BoB
i was striped of all moderating duets late last night and after some talks with Dave this morning it seems i am reinstated

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 24th March 2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
Hi Justin

Glad you liked the long bit about me! How about doing one yourself too?

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave
Sorry but you seem to have done it again Dave with the one liners and not answered Justin’s suggestions this is exactly what we mean it looks bad

Old 24th March 2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Hi Dave
Sorry but you seem to have done it again Dave with the one liners and not answered Justin’s suggestions this is exactly what we mean it looks bad

It is bad.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 24th March 2011, 02:24 PM

Ok Dave, here goes...
Although I'm not entirely sure that the forum members will find my history or interests relevant, I will take up your suggestion in the light of aiming to clarify my point about communication and the use of this forum.
My vocational interest/abilities lie in culture, the arts and philosophy. I went to Art school, in London. My entire life, since leaving secondary school has been focused around right hemisphere rationale. I do not have an ability- or very little, at least of the left hemisphere orientation.
This is one of the reasons why I joined this forum. It wasn't just to learn how to build valve hifi kits. I was convinced by Noel Keywood that this was the way forward for me. Noel's (along with the other contributors at HiFi World) opinion has always struck a chord with me in regard that great hifi- and the listening experience should be available to all, and the ethos behind WD was the sole reason for its inception.
As I say, perhaps the relevance of this point is questionable, but it is an attempt to level with you, and to illustrate the point of communication/language.
I graduated from St.Martin's school of Art with an MA eleven years ago, and part of this was preparing for my Ph.D. Unfortunately, thongs did not go according to plan, and I suffered a breakdown. I have never used any of my qualifications in a professional capacity. I am at present a bus driver in Cambridge.
The reason why I had a breakdown is because of my father. When I was at school, I performed well in all subjects, but my natural ability lay in Art, and the more 'creative subjects'. My father did not want this and put me under tremendous pressure to conform to his way of thinking. He wanted me to be more mainstream and follow a more logical, typically more male orientated line of work. Something which is more objective, rather than the risk of artistic/highly subjective work. This was a disaster.
I am clawing my way back to where I ought to be in my life, but it is taking time. I continue to have therapy, and this is one of the reasons why I became a bus driver. Obviously, because of the University here in Cambridge, there are many walks of life. I'm sure you experienced that yourself whilst living here. But there are also alot of misguided preconceptions. Unfortunately, (although not always the case) a certain amount of wealth is associated with education. I, for one, am intrigued by that concept, and by becoming a bus driver, I would throw myself into one of the most vilified of jobs, which some of the general public (especially in Cambridge) love to to be able to determine 'what you are by the nature of the job you do'.
Anyway, getting back to the point- joining this forum was to enable and to facilitate a democratic ethos in my individual development as an enthusiast in HiFi. I think that perhaps from your background of your career the need to communicate the reason behind your decision making was not necessary. You have been involved in the creation and development of a high technology resource. Perhaps it hasn't ever been necessary to justify the direction of your ambitions as it has been of a common interest.
I do not think you are deliberately trying to avoid justifying your aims/intentions with WD, but perhaps it has not ever been a requirement if your job description.
Perhaps, as owner of WD, you do not feel it necessary to declare your intentions... And by doing so feel as if you are exposing yourself by being vulnerable. For the same reasons that I became a bus driver, exposing oneself does not necessarily make one vulnerable. I personally, see it as a strength in the attempt to become a more skilled arbitrator. I will soon leave bus driving for good, but the ability to recognise differences in communication and language will stay with me long after I leave...
Regards,
Justin.
Old 24th March 2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks Justin.

You have my sympathy and my gratitude wholeheartedly....

Music soothes the savage beasts my friend.....

Could not have said it better my self, so I will just say it diffrently....

When their is a great ART then there is always HEAVEN.
I belive that through music, mankind can achieve enlightenment.

BY Listening to great ART and great MUSIC, by participating in bringing music and ART to everyone we can through DIY hifi. By logical steps we build our kits in a very artistic manner, through this forum, and with old friends.....

Best to all.... Boondi