World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > Membership Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Membership Issues For discussion of any issues with membership of this forum

Old 23rd February 2017, 03:35 PM
WD Archivist

Default Historical WAD Schematic Diagrams

I have noticed a there has been recently an increase in the number of requests for copies of old WAD kit build instructions and schematic diagrams. I realise that the intellectual rights of this information is owned by Matthew, however, he does not possess much of this information on the older kits.

I was wondering, with the help of the membership, if a library of this historical information could be collated. A list of all WAD kits could be made and members in possession of the relevant material could offer it to WD forum to be held under the control of the moderators.

When a request is made for this information, that request can be scrutinised by a moderator and where appropriate, released to the inquirer privately.

Such a scheme would compile a historical library to enrich WD's heritage and prosterity and could be of great benefit for those who join the forum, typically because they have just acquired a secondhand amplifier with no paperwork.

I appreciate it would involve a little work. I would happily facilitate this myself, but of course, I am not a moderator. It would initial require the need to make a list of all the amps and speakers WAD produced, followed by an appeal for the information here and suitable places elsewhere on the internet.

Maybe Matthew and the moderators would like to have a conversation about my suggestion to consider its viability. I would be willing to undertake the task in isolation of being a moderator if this is considered feasible.

What do you think?

Last edited by Greg.; 23rd February 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Historical WAD Schematic Diagrams

Well I think it is a good idea Greg. BOB
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes a good idea to appeal for anyone having older build instructions to forward them to Matthew. I sent him all the stuff I'd saved last year
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:29 PM

good idea,, there are probably lots off the older stuff still out there,
possibly, Mathew could make a cd for them,, NOT suggesting that in, to-days
world all must pay £££. but to keep the wheel spinning ?

dave
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes good idea Greg
Happy to help where I can if Mathew agrees with the idea
I still have most of the supplements in paper form and World audio mags. in the loft but I think most of this will already be on the CDs. Mathew is selling but happy to look for something that may have been mist
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 24th February 2017, 01:07 AM
WD Archivist

The reason why I have suggested it is that the original supplements did not of course include any build instructions and also of importance, frequently the supplement articles were based on the prototype build and alterations were made before the kit came to market when no printed correction appeared later. To build based on the information solely obtained in the supplement article can be folly and lead to disappointment with the builder having no idea why.
Old 24th February 2017, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yes of course your right Greg
However I do have three or four WD copys of kit build instructions manuals for phono and SE and PP Amps
Plus note s bits, and bobs, that i can help with maybe
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 24th February 2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
The reason why I have suggested it is that the original supplements did not of course include any build instructions and also of importance, frequently the supplement articles were based on the prototype build and alterations were made before the kit came to market when no printed correction appeared later. To build based on the information solely obtained in the supplement article can be folly and lead to disappointment with the builder having no idea why.
Yes collecting the paperwork is only part of the job. As you say, it then needs checking/correcting before being passed on.

Unfortunately no single one of us has built all the kits or can remember all the problems and fixes of the last 24 years. Since 2000 much support has been via the bb and WAD/WD has had several owners.

The info is available, someone always turns it up, but perhaps it is best forwarded as we do now, after an enquiry on the bb, so others can chime in if they remember issues.

Speaking personally, I certainly wouldn't make it an on-demand service for anyone to download a file as, before you know it, the whole lot will be for sale on a CD on the web and all property rights will be lost due to negligence/stupidity
Old 24th February 2017, 04:47 PM

I'd gladly forward to share all I've got regarding KEL34, KiT/Kat88, KEL80 and some other World Audio manuals/instructions and photos.
Old 25th February 2017, 10:17 PM
WD Archivist

Ok, thanks all for your responses. I'm thinking a bit more about this and will get back. I really would appreciate a response from Matthew, if possible please?