World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 24th March 2006, 10:29 PM

Default WD Project

Hi

No threads on here yet. Makes me think that either WD has a fabulous amp, that is easy to build because of the great instructions supplied, or no-one has bought an amp yet! Can't believe that at all.

What's the score?

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 25th March 2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WD Project

Just getting going, no amp yet Neil, just 1 speaker and no problems

This is the range so far,

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/products.htm

Rich
Old 25th March 2006, 09:42 AM

Just to clarify for Yellow and other's benefit, World Designs took over the Hi-Fi World DIY kit design and manufacture duties in January 2006. This was because of the demise of World Audio Design which ceased trading during the end of 2005.

Since then World Designs has managed to purchase the stock of parts and kits from World Audio Design and is currently preparing to put these on the World Designs website.

World Designs is also developing new kits, including valve amplifier kits, which will become available during the summer 2006 after publication in Hi-Fi World.

In the meantime it is nice to see that no-one has had any problems with our speaker kits!
Old 23rd May 2006, 06:43 PM

Ive not long finished building the KT84 amp kit,it sounds amazing,it replaces a sonneteer tripath digital integrated which was detailed but dead sounding.My system now sounds astonishingly better,the sonneteer now retails at arround 900 quid!?. i had a couple of problems building it but nothing serious,the were as follows. i had to drill out the holes for the phono sockets to 10mm & the holes for the output transformers to 5mm. If you have to do likewise cover the metalwork with tape first to protect the paint from rotating swarf (i used insulating tape). While running the amp in my system appart from am imediate improvement in sound i noticed that the mains transformer was buzzing annoyingly,this proved to be mechanical noise,however world audio,s guru told me to bolt the transformer windings tightly with extra m5 nuts before passing the bolts through rubber gromets ,through the casing and nipping them up underneath.This worked exellently.Many thanks for an outstanding sounding amp,to Noel & all at HiFi world and world audio.
System as follows,inca design katanna cd,Project 5 turntable,KT84 kit amp,quad 12L stand mounters,white noise phono stage,maplin silver coax&shark phono plugs,QED mk2 biwire.
Old 23rd May 2006, 06:56 PM

I almost forgot to mention tha if you dismount the mains transformer you have to earth the windings to the earth point,annother apparent advantage of doing this is that the whole amp seems to be running cooler.
Old 11th September 2006, 08:11 PM

I thought i'd better correct my error in the above post(cant think how i missed it before now) the amp i refer to is the KEL84.An excellant amp indead.
Another possible hitch has been uncovered by Richard(thank's indead),i followed the manual to the letter and trimmed four cm of insulation off the ends of the feedback wire's where they connect to the PCB.The input connections are right beside the feedback connections and these are to be stripped back 3cm.This i did also,but it has lead to the two wires lying beside each other where their not screened and has caused me a lot of trouble and expense.Arguably i perhaps should have spotted this as a potential cause of feedback,however i even changed the feedback wires to a heavier gauge coax,but i prepared the end's the same way(Doh).
I hope this may be of help to anyone suffering this problem,it's an easy amp to build for an novice but not so easy to diagnose problems without the help of the good people on this forum.
Old 11th September 2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom
Just to clarify for Yellow and other's benefit, World Designs took over the Hi-Fi World DIY kit design and manufacture duties in January 2006. This was because of the demise of World Audio Design which ceased trading during the end of 2005.

Since then World Designs has managed to purchase the stock of parts and kits from World Audio Design and is currently preparing to put these on the World Designs website.
This has no doubt been covered already, but what about people who sent money to WAD and didn't get their goods...

John
Old 11th September 2006, 11:09 PM
WD Archivist

I'd expect your claim is against WAD and not WD. Maybe you should direct your complaint in that direction. Public exposure here of your problem isn't helpful, is it?

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 11th September 2006, 11:38 PM

Hi-what was the relationship between hi-fi world and WAD ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 12th September 2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65
Hi-what was the relationship between hi-fi world and WAD ?

Philip
I think WAD was initially wholly owned by Hi-Fi World, but later sold off and existing in a sort of symbiotic relationship with the magazine (similar to the current situation with WD). The magazine continued to promote WAD kits, whilst WAD provided diy articles for the magazine. I don't know at what point they ceased to be financially linked, but it was well before WAD's demise.
I'm sure someone else will know more and possibly correct me, if I'm wrong.

Prince