World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Suppliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suppliers Recommended Component Suppliers (and the ones to be avoided)

Old 1st August 2020, 08:09 PM

Default Northwest Analogue cartridge repair

I have given two years' cooling off period debating on whether to post this, given that a near irreplaceable amenity is being supplied.

Having previously seen favourable mention of Northwest Analogue in this forum, I sent a cartridge for repair to Dominic Harper of Northwest Analogue, paying upfront £1000+ in 2016.

My experience was that I suffered over two years of multiple repeated empty assurances again and again that “it would be ready in a couple more weeks”.
If they had simply said it would not be ready for another year or more, I could have accepted that and bought a cheap cartridge to be going on with, but instead I was continually given ever more fanciful explanations what was going on.

I became genuinely concerned that I had been conned out of £1000+ and that the business was no longer operating, so for only the second time in my whole life I was driven to contacting Trading Standards.
After fully two years (let's look at that as 20% of my expectancy before my hearing deteriorates), a formal letter drafted for me produced remarkably prompt results.

Dominic seems hugely knowledgeable and capable, but he absolutely couldn't/wouldn't see that I was trying to explain from a paying customer's point of view, that his whole service was being stabbed in the back by the false facts I was being sent.
He kept repeating, as an answer, how his £1000 worth of work was really worth at least £2000 – in essence he was doing me a favour.
He did not think the paying customer was entitled to a point of view. He even assured me it had been OK to send me these fobbing-off emails, because Natalie (who appears to act as secretary/manager) “didn't always know what was actually happening”.

So, the work was done, but the experience was appalling.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Northwest Analogue cartridge repair

Sorry to hear that Alistair. We know you from years on this bb and it's sad to hear a tale of such poor service. We can only advise future potential customers to be aware of your experience and make their own enquiries. Edit, to add that Dominic is very welcome to reply here.
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:46 AM

I was not impressed also some time back after asking Dominic a few questions, and for £1000 one could buy a new bloody good cartridge . Bob
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:29 PM

Well, I can only speak as I find. I have had a number of dealings with Dominic and Natalie at NWA over the past few years, they were very hospitable and professional on every occasion and the work carried out was first rate.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again when I require a repair on one of my cartridges.

Nigel
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:26 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
Well, I can only speak as I find. I have had a number of dealings with Dominic and Natalie at NWA over the past few years, they were very hospitable and professional on every occasion and the work carried out was first rate.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again when I require a repair on one of my cartridges.

Nigel
Yes, Nigel’s post also reflects my experience for two repairs Dominic did for me.
Old 27th September 2020, 01:10 PM

I often wonder about such prices when Goldring will rebuild a Linn cartridge with newly wound coils, cantilever and suspension parts and Ogura retip for less than 400 quid. My Italian contact who does it as a hobby has justo charged me less than 100 euros for a Shure Hyper elliptical retip for my reserve A&R P77 and before anyone asks he is taking a Covid inspired sabbatical until further notice - he says he needs to be at peace with the world and himself before he will contemplate such nerve-wracking work. Mind you he believes each cartridge has its own g-spot and is a combination of magnet shape, and strength to max output, cantilever material and length and then the tip itself. In his case he thinks the hyper elliptical is the most faff-free shape ever bearing in mind setup, background noise and condition of most LPs. Just the right amount of detail retrievement and warmth. FYI he was quite impressed by the original Weiss Paroc fitted to the relatively unused A&R and he asked me could he keep it for use on his Koetsu. Go figure. I guess Usual price theory just does not apply when it comes to hifi, especially cartridges.