World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 30th April 2019, 09:25 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Crossover components rolling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
Incredible but then don't you have severe hearing loss?
Hmm, that’s a rather harsh response.

Yep, I’ve used them in my now sold on Phono 2. Very detailed and analytical. Too much infact for both coupling positions, so I got a nice balance with the Russians and a pair of Jensen PIO’s. That worked well for me and apparently, the new owner.
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:35 PM

Hi,
I have now replaced the AmpOhms and Russian MGBO and FT3 teflons that I had in my WD25TEx crossovers with the Russian K73-16s. No contest detail-wise. I have also replaced both coupling caps (interstage - US NOS CUSTOM teflons) and AmpOhms output caps (Ampohms)) in my Puresound P10 OTT clone phono stage and the K73-16s are far superior to my ears - pianists have two hands and the strings sections have more than 3 or four members compared with before and I find myself being drawn to "the rest of the players" and not just the "Messis" of this world.
Jury is out on spatial considerations but I blame it all on my room/decor (i.e. the Missus- anyway.

As others have said, at their prices these caps have very little competition IMHO. Ah yes, no brightness either, but of course that could be my 68 year old lugs.

Well, I´ve got Korean feet on my amp, Russian caps and US Mills resitors in my phono, Thank God for my Sugden and LP12. With a bit of luck Trump and Boris would never speak to me.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:27 AM

Greg,
the K73-16 caps can only be described as 'transparent' as Chris said they are not bright. However they will expose what is upstream of them.

My definition of 'transparent' is neutral, neither adding or subtracting. You say you found them 'analyitical'. I have 2 different Beyerdynamic h/phones, they are very 'detailed' or better described as analytical showing just how soft and lacking in detail the Sennheisers are. If you can live with a top end that is bright or have hearing loss they are a winner.

I think that some who have tried them don't like what these caps expose upstream and dump their findings on the messenger - so it goes.

The overwhelming majority who use these caps find exactly the same as Chris, combine them with Z foils in the signal path and they show just how much information aka colour/timbre/emotion is lost or distorted with other combinations of caps/resistors.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:42 PM
WD Archivist

Stuart, I acknowledge, Russian Teflon caps are very good per se and can be well used in audio kits/equipment to good value. As I have said, I have very happily used them previously in my Phono II. Likewise, I have had very good results with naked foil resistors of the Charcroft type, particularly when fitted in the signal path.

The whole thing is a mute point for me because I have moved on regarding amplification. I no longer use valves and embrace amplifiers by Devialet. It is typical for us in our search for best sound at home to move on and for me, WAD and World Designs, which retains my total respect was just a stepping stone in that journey. A mark of my respect is that I remain a member and contributor here for the benefit of others.

My hearing is still pretty good and better than average for my 64 years. The moment it starts to fail significantly will be the moment I stop this hobby ‘holy grail’ nonsense for good. To me there is no point continuing it, but I note from observing people at shows and what I read on forums that those with severe hearing loss (including those with hearing aids) continue to enjoy the hobby. Good for them and I’ll never knock their enjoyment.

Although I have moved on from WD and WAD amplifiers, I remain completely committed to my WAD KLS3 speakers. I acknowledge mine are seriously modified, but they really do cut the mustard when driven from any source. I’ve heard Wagnerian music through better speakers (£45,000) in a living room situation and for sure the sound was more dynamic than that which I have at home, but hell, I’m not in that market and I acknowledge my limitations. I endlessly continue to enjoy my KLS3’s. Such a shame so many originally built them (at the time guided by the supplement) incorrectly causing them to be dismissed as a flawed design. For basic domestic use, KLS3 remain for me the best affordable speakers I have heard over the last thirty years. I expect my KLS3’s are speakers for life.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:30 PM

Greg,
just one point, the K73-16 are not Teflon, they are PETP/Mylar very different. Apparently the K73-11 are preferred by some over the K73-16.