World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 12th September 2021, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Punchy bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
No Baggo you didn't tell us, all very interesting reading as always, but don't forget the year is now 2021 and technology has moved forward at an amazing pace, while we still love old style amplifiers powered by thermionic tubes, speakers, in my opinion have been one of the hi-fi products that have reduced in size and still hold their heads high, just my thoughts. And I still love riding my Triumphs and Panther, but the Honda is in another world. Bob
Well Bob, I accept everything you suggest and without reservation - almost. I think your reference to the Honda summarises my position very well indeed.

I readily admit that I'm a dinosaur, partly because I find refuge in dinosaurism preferable to living in the present world, but that's an old fogey's viewpoint and it's just as well that it's not shared by everyone. I agree that miniaturisation and technological advance has, for the most part, provided many benefits and improvements since I first enjoyed myself with kinkless tetrodes a long time ago. (My case comes up next week). But in self defence, I might mention that WD and other pretenders to stratospheric fidelity continue with that superlative Mullard circuit so little changed from the Williamsons I built back in the 'fifties.

I also acknowledge the remarkable transition made from steamer trunks to bookcases, but I really think that transducers have fared less well in the intervening years. The orchestral string bass and the bass guitar are both tuned in fourths and share the same pitches - that is about all they have in common. They cannot properly double for each other in their respective fields - I'm reminded that there are those who can distinguish a valve amp from a transistorised one and I believe this must be so. Why else would one continue in pursuit of perfection with an obsolete thermionic technology? This dichotomy is extended to speakers where the American performance car adage that you "can't have too many cubes" prevails at the very top end and where audio quality is not to be compromised. I think this, in itself, rather supports the probity of my argument. Not sure if Dave the Bass still visits the forum but I would be interested to have his comments.

You cannot take a 'cello, slacken the string tension and expect it to sound the same as a double bass an octave lower. The physics don't work that way and I contend that the same applies to speaker design/construction. A parallel can be found in organ pipes. The combination of a 16' foot pipe with one at 10,2/3ds will provide a resultant pitch of 32'. This is a cheaper arrangement requiring less space. Yet it does not have the same character or quality as a proper 32' rank and is easily detected as being a "cheapo" substitute. A bit like the old Goodmans "Acoustic Resistance Unit". Well, sort of. Gracious, you have to be old to remember that!

Despite all the foregoing, I readily accept that I'm probably steaming a little astern of the fleet. For more than 65 years I have ridden Britbikes thinking that they have represented the best of their time - and in many earlier cases, they did - but Bob's reference to the Honda is spot-on. My little XBR has been a wondrous eye-opener. In terms of engine performance, comfort, reliability and general handling, it is the best bike I have owned, with the possible exception of the Manx Norton, but the Honda does not spew oil all over my trousers! I have come to treasure this chuckable, beautifully balanced and very compact machine which is proving an absolute delight. So would I like to have my old bikes back? Emphatically not, because I'm too old and they're too heavy! But, just to keep a foot in the old camp, I still treasure my 1949 Nimbus. But should I embrace small speakers with a more open mind? I have yet to be persuaded.

From long experience, I have come to understand that having an open mind is just an invitation for someone to fill it with rubbish. Or even a bookshelf speaker . . .

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 12th September 2021 at 09:00 PM.