World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st October 2017, 10:45 PM
WD Archivist

Default WAD KLS3 Mk3 Millennium

This is relevant in the WD Speaker section of the forum because although the KLS3 speakers were WAD kits, this post relates to what Peter Comeau did with this speaker when proprietor of World Designs being the name change he used after he bought World Audio Design.

I have owned and continually used (because I built them correctly and tuned them to perform properly, unlike many others who then discharged them for low value on eBay) WAD KLS3 speakers ever since they were introduced by HiFi World as a kit in their DIY Suppliment back in the mid 90’s. For many years I used the original KLS3 Mk1 version but recently introduced the Mk2 crossover with a design change to accommodate the original Mk1 Audax TW025M1 tweeter to replacie the commonly failing Audax Gold HD-3P unit.
See http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=7414

In June 2008, HFW published an article by Peter Comeau where he took member here Guy Pettigrew’s KLS3 Mk2 Gold speakers in for repair and upgrade to replace the failed Audax gold dome tweeters with the Seas T25CF002 ‘Millennium’ tweeters. The failure of the Audax unit is universally common. No replacements are available.

My son who I originally built Mk2 Golds for, passed them back to me with failed tweeters. He no longer needed them anyway, so I had the option to repair and upgrade them.

Having owned for a short while, a pair of WD25T speakers, with Millennium tweeter, I was so conscious of the sound benefits this tweeter brings. Yes, it is expensive (currently around £225 per unit) but worth it IMHO. So I bit the bullet and went for them to upgrade this second pair of KLS3’s.

These speaker cabinets had bevelled edges and therefore there was insufficient space to accommodate the additional 10mm of the Seas tweeter face plate. Don’t be conned by the picture in Peter’s original article. This has been photoshopped and is not proportional or real. Guy’s speakers could accommodate because they did not have bevelled edges. Anyway, I found a way around this by cutting off four perpendicular 5mm crescents from the faceplate. Thank you Geoff (pager8) for your engineering help. The faceplate torque screws were easily removed and the resulting conversion produced a faceplate of a very similar design to the partnering Audax drive units. Win, win!

My friend, Nigel (vinylspinner) helped me out with the cabinet rebating. Note the filled original mounting holes and the new ones drilled for simple screw fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLSpic1.jpg (76.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg KLSpic2.jpg (43.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Richard; 7th June 2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Add pics