World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 24th December 2017, 11:53 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: WAD KLS3 Mk3 Millennium

Well, an alternative would be the well regarded Scanspeak D2905/9500. I have the crossover design for this, once again supplied me by my friend, Scott Lindgren. Unfortunately, the forum will not presently allow me to upload and attach the schematic. Happy to send it to a moderator for them to make that happen.

Last edited by Greg.; 25th December 2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:20 PM

Hope you're well, Greg.

This is an interesting thread but unfortunately I can't see the pictures. Can you please send me them in an email? My email address is unchanged if you still have it.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:38 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, it seems tinypics has a limited hosting life

I’ll email you.
Old 28th March 2020, 01:02 PM

I've just been asked about the details on how to do this by another KLS3 owner so I had to find all the details again.

The published article is on the Hi-Fi World site here:

https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.p...t.html?start=1

For some reason the text is invisible on my browser, but if you copy and paste each page into a document you can read it.

Alternatively, I've saved everything to a pdf that you can download from my website here:

http://thesuccessbusiness.com/access/kls3mk3.pdf

Hope that helps!
Old 29th March 2020, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

A very interesting article thanks Peter. Have saved it and I'm sure others will find it useful in future.

Hope you're well, are you home from China now?
Old 6th April 2020, 02:02 PM

Hi all

It was me who had asked about the Seas upgrade which Peter and Greg have been able to help and guide me in the right direction. I'll try and keep an update on what I've done along the way, I've decided to go for the upgrade. They were a present from my Uncle who had them from initial build so I was a bit reluctant to let them, as I now have a bit of time on my hands I thought I'd get on with it.

I'll have these ready for when we move and I have a dedicated room, my wife is not a fan of them in the living room so I'm now running tiny little Dali menuets. Good as they are I'm looking forward to having these back.

They are currently stripped back, I've sanded them back and staining them today. I now have all the crossover components, I've decided to go for all new as I still had electrolytic capacitors. So all new soniq s caps,Mills resistors and inductors from IPL acoustic.

I've bought a suitable box to house it all in which I'll stain the same colour. I did think I was going to have to do the same as Greg and machine down the tweeter to fit, fortunately they just fit as the bevelled edge on my boxes doesn't come down as far.

The boxes will have finished being stained today so I can then redo the carpet and wool, the old man is going to build the crossover for me and then get them back together and see what improvements we have!

I'll post some pictures of the progress.

Matt

Pics are: Sanded back and the old crossover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200327_175126.jpg (15.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200327_172553.jpg (24.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 19th May 2020, 02:48 PM

Great thread Greg, I’ve gleaned a lot from your KLS3 posts together with those of Brian, Richard and Guy over the years, thank you all.

Matt, congrats on upgrading your KLS3’s, they are a superbly rewarding speaker as you know, I’ve been happily living with mine for 19 years having integrated the Seas “Millennium” tweeters and upgrading the crossover in 2011 post HD-3P deflation.
Can you post your impressions after upgrading?
It looks like the crossover you’ve inherited (what a wonderful present by the way) are the original Mk.II components; you should hear a massive improvement moving from electrolytics especially feeding the mid-range driver.

You also allude to that scourge of the inveterate speaker builder, domestic acceptability.
I knew KLS3 “Gold’s” were for me, but my partner having clapped eyes on the DIY supplement (HFW Dec ’96) announced she would leave if they entered our flat! After much deliberation I decided keeping both would be preferable so applied an aesthetic re-design based on taking the internal chamber out of the speaker box. Imagine your Dali Menuets on top of a bass reflex cabinet where the lines flow gracefully and the combined effect is of a narrow loudspeaker.

I came across my original working drawings for these during a lockdown sort-out hence my first post - if there is anyone insane enough to have a go I can email jpg copies.

You mention a move Matt. My speakers were on the large side for our original room, a disproportionally high ceiling helped but formed a cube which is terrible for frequency nodes, wooden boards and bare plaster walls also made it rather lively but it was a great room for intimate music. Moving to a larger living room (removal of a hallway helped here) together with thick foam under-laid carpet, coving fitted and walls papered, has provided the biggest improvement of all. KLS3’s need space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1799sm.jpg (134.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1959sm.jpg (127.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 19th May 2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Great thread Greg, I’ve gleaned a lot from your KLS3 posts together with those of Brian, Richard and Guy over the years, thank you all.

Matt, congrats on upgrading your KLS3’s, they are a superbly rewarding speaker as you know, I’ve been happily living with mine for 19 years having integrated the Seas “Millennium” tweeters and upgrading the crossover in 2011 post HD-3P deflation.
Can you post your impressions after upgrading?
It looks like the crossover you’ve inherited (what a wonderful present by the way) are the original Mk.II components; you should hear a massive improvement moving from electrolytics especially feeding the mid-range driver.

You also allude to that scourge of the inveterate speaker builder, domestic acceptability.
I knew KLS3 “Gold’s” were for me, but my partner having clapped eyes on the DIY supplement (HFW Dec ’96) announced she would leave if they entered our flat! After much deliberation I decided keeping both would be preferable so applied an aesthetic re-design based on taking the internal chamber out of the speaker box. Imagine your Dali Menuets on top of a bass reflex cabinet where the lines flow gracefully and the combined effect is of a narrow loudspeaker.

I came across my original working drawings for these during a lockdown sort-out hence my first post - if there is anyone insane enough to have a go I can email jpg copies.

You mention a move Matt. My speakers were on the large side for our original room, a disproportionally high ceiling helped but formed a cube which is terrible for frequency nodes, wooden boards and bare plaster walls also made it rather lively but it was a great room for intimate music. Moving to a larger living room (removal of a hallway helped here) together with thick foam under-laid carpet, coving fitted and walls papered, has provided the biggest improvement of all. KLS3’s need space.
They look amazing! Congratulations on a great job. If only I could come up with that...
Old 19th May 2020, 07:16 PM

Very nice looking speakers, "Well Done"

Chris
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:30 AM

Apologies for the lack of reply, not been on here in while. I can confirm that they sound bloody impressive now. I'm very happy with my decision to upgrade them rather than replace, I think I'd have had to spend a significant amount to get close to the performance.
Fantastic job on the design of yours, they really look stunning. I'm planning on making some new cabinets at some stage and did have an idea to keep the same internal cabinetry but add curved sides to make them slightly more attractive.
When we move I shall have a dedicated listening room so the better half won't be too concerned by the looks.