World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 30th December 2017, 07:33 PM

Default WDXRS Supertweeters

Did anyone ever make these ? I rather fancy giving them a shot because Iīm bored and these would seem to be within my reach, skill-wise. I have the WD25TExs and was wondering if their supposedly rather special in its day Millennium tweeter might preclude the use of such a supertweeter. I remember that Peter mentioned their use with the WD20s because of them being a co-axial design which might need a bit of a push in the upper frequencies and even then I seem to remember him saying some will love them, others wonīt.
I guess I just need a shove to get my finger out because I use external crossovers, placed close to my amp and so will have to change my 4-core cable to 6 core . Might get a bit complicated.
Old 30th December 2017, 11:57 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: WDXRS Supertweeters

I don’t know anyone who added them. The mounting which was basically a chiselled our block of oak was outrageously priced. I challenged Peter on this and he just shrugged his shoulders. I don’t think he sold any or actually had any made for sale. If you already have Millennium, I think you would be wasting your time and money. I am using Millennium and have no desire for super tweeters. If you do want to go that way, there are many alternatives that you would probably find more suitable.

Oh and also consider, I have no knowledge of Peter ever selling a WD20 kit (at the time I was a company employee although it never came to anything). Probably just a design for the mag that no-one or very few ever took up.
Old 31st December 2017, 12:51 PM

Hi Greg,
I myself built the WD20T with external crossovers because I already had the transparent Seas coaxial but I did buy the kit minus that. I also know another guy who uses them in the UK but I donīt think he lurks around here. Mine are on permanent loan to a mate who used to have Totem arros and he is very happy with them as his room is a bit too big for the Arros.
Back to the Supertweeters, I have no complaints with my WD25Ts (treble or bass) save that I would love more height to the imaging. I have no idea whether this is down to my room, my kit or my vinyls but lead singers are invariably 1 and a bit metre midgets.
Perhaps if I lie on the floor.......
In any case, it would be an exercise in carving and shaping a lump made with composite mdf blocks stuck together and then lacquered..

Does anyone think supertweeters can help with the imaging at all ?
Old 31st December 2017, 02:08 PM

Hello,
I don't know if this is any help but I use Townshend super-tweeters with my Tannoy D.Cs
What I would say they do for me is a general "opening out" of the midrange. They seem to just make everything just a little "smoother and clearer".
It is a fairly subtle effect but nice. I got mine for a good price (still expensive).
If you have the tweeters already, I would say build the crossover and just screw them to a bit of wood and try them. Putting a lot of effort into nice boxes only to find they don't really do anything for you would be a bit frustrating.

Phil.
Old 31st December 2017, 05:48 PM

Hi Greg,

If you were ever feeling curious, you would be welcome to borrow my super-tweeters just to see (hear) for yourself.

Phil.
Old 31st December 2017, 09:40 PM
WD Archivist

Hey, Phil, that would be really great. Maybe we could arreange a session here when you are free? I’ve heard the subtle differences super tweeters make on other speakers so have an open mind. The bizarre thing is when you stick your ear next to a super tweeter, all you hear is hash. Actually I have a pair of TakeT Batpure that some find useful, even rave about. I tried them with my previous KLS3’s and it was one of those experiences where you would not know they were there until you disconnected them and then you immediately realised something was missing. I’ve not considered them since I’ve been using KLS3 Millennium, so I should give them a try. For those interested, the manufacturers link (Japan) is http://www.taket.jp/batpure/batpure.html
Here’s a review http://6moons.com/audioreviews/taket/2.html
Interesting forum thread here
http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/3...eeter-findings

Phil, I’ll email you.

Greg