World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th November 2022, 12:45 AM

Default A different tilt on things.

Just to provoke signs of life:
I recently spent a bit of time checking stability, levelness, distance from rear wall etc of my WD25TEx speakers. Mine are on improvised isolating plinths using screw-in rubber cone like bungs instead of spikes and thickish felt pads between marble slab and the boxes themselves. They wobble like a jelly if you touch them but I don’t touch them and they seem to work at least as well as spikes and I was tired of having a dartboard instead of a wooden hardwood floor due to conventional spikes. My tweeters have always been around ear height but this time I decided to inject a tilt-back factor by using thicker felt pads up front than those at the back. So much so that my tweeters now seem to aim a fair bit higher , more like at the top of my head or even over my head. This would seem to have levelled up the power output at higher frequencies and cymbal brushwork is much more obvious and easy to hear. Could it be that the fact that in these speakers the back tilt helps not because of where the tweeter aims but because the woofer has a fair bit more mids info than is usual due to the highish crossover point and is therefore also more directional than would be the case in a 3 way ? or does it seem to have improved by getting over the negative effects of my largish coffee table between me and my boxes. Has anyone else tried tilting their WD25ts back a bit ? Discuss