World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 1st May 2021, 03:52 PM

Default Kel84 input oddity

Hi All, I bought a 2nd hand Kel84 (upgraded to xl) a few months ago. It sounds really good and sounds every bit as nice as I'd hoped for. It works perfectly apart from one thing; the Tuner and Aux inputs are somehow joined. So with the tuner connected to the Tuner inputs I get the tuner playing whether I have Tuner or Aux selected. If I remember rightly the same issue applies if I connect a source to the Aux input - same output whether Aux or Tuner selected. So this prevents me from having things connected to the both of those inputs.

I did peer inside just after I got it to see if I could spot anything obvious but I couldn't see anything weird - though I must stress that I have no technical ability, just thought I might see touching wires on the input selector tags or whatever.

Anyone have any ideas, or recommendations for someone to help me fix it (Yeovil area)?

Dave
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Kel84 input oddity

A few questions first Dave, does this have a tape/source monitor switch on the front panel in the centre, or an LED, and when you looked inside does it have a PCB over the input sockets or just wire connections ? we need to know to point you in the correct direction. Bob
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:36 AM

Hi Dave,
You need to tell us which type of selector you have.
There are 2 basic types.
1 where all the wires from the input sockets go to the switch.
2 where there is a small PWB at the back of the input sockets and wires come from that.

Some pictures of the switch and input area might help us spot a problem too.
Old 2nd May 2021, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies

It has the led on the front, not a switch.
It's definitely the 'type 2' from the pics above i.e. it has the pcb over the input sockets.

If I remember rightly the seller said that the main pcb is the latest revision.

I'll take and post some pics as soon as I have a chance, probably tomorrow morning.
Old 3rd May 2021, 06:45 AM

OK Dave, then I would say that the selector front panel switch is configured wrong, or, the wiring from switch to PCB is incorrect, I have seen this before and most times it has been the configuration of the switch, do you have the build sheets, if you don't then ask our Greg, he can send them to you via email attachment. Bob
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:06 AM
WD Archivist

Yes, I can provide the build instructions if you need them. Alternatively, as you say you have no technical capability, I am in Bristol and if you fancy a drive up from Yeovil, I could probably sort it out for you.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:20 PM

Actually yes I do have the build instructions and I think the input selector switch is connected correctly but I can't see how the pcb/panel is connected. I took some pictures that may give some clues?

[IMG]Kel84[/IMG]

[IMG]Kel84[/IMG]

[IMG]Kel84[/IMG]

[IMG]Kel84[/IMG]

As a guide to the level of my ability; I have made a simple passive pre and have replaced a few capacitors in a speaker crossover, but have always kept away from anything with significant amounts of electricity involved. I'm not especially adept with a soldering iron but am OK as long as it's not too fiddly. So I could have a crack at this myself if you reckon it's do-able by a relative novice? Alternatively if best left to someone with more expertise then I'd be delighted to take up your offer Greg, if it wouldn't be too inconvenient and only if you really don't mind. It's not hugely urgent to me as I can still use the amp in the meantime.

Last edited by Calorgas; 3rd May 2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 3rd May 2021, 02:09 PM

Dave, do you have six positions on the rotary switch and no more, if you do have more then you need to remove the switch, no need to remove any of the wires, and replace the removable stop and set to position 6, if you have just six then the indexing should be correct, but my guess is this could be your problem, please do remember the switch is all plastic, so do not over tighten the holding nut. Bob
Old 3rd May 2021, 02:11 PM

Update: I'm pretty sure it is the input selector now. When I had it open earlier I nudged the white wire aside to try and get a clearer view, and after reconnecting everything I now have one source coming out through all inputs! Scratch that! I'd inadvertently misconnected something to the Tape Out, doh! So just the original problem persists.

So should I redo all the connections onto the switch, or could the switch itself be suspect? I presume that I can loosen the switch so I could rotate it to get access to all the tags, as that capacitor is inconveniently snug against it.

Sorry Bob, you replied while I was typing so didn't see it until I submitted mine.
Yes I just have the 6 positions.

Last edited by Calorgas; 3rd May 2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 3rd May 2021, 03:13 PM

I still think that the switch is indexed wrongly, look at your build papers and see if all connections to and from switch to PCB agree, if they do then you need to remove switch and check the indexing. Bob