World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 21st September 2006, 10:25 AM

Default Transformer types for MF X-PSU clone

I am looking at the possibility of making a new power supply for my MF X-LPS phono stage and have some questions that hopefully some of you more experienced builders might be able to advise upon:

The standard MF plug power supply I believe is rated fairly tightly at something like 6VA. The expensive MF X-PSU has four 20VA outputs. Is there any benefit on over-rating a transformer much more than the 20VA, say to 50VA as the increased cost is minimal?

I'm guessing that the issue with larger transformers is that their internal volt drop will be lower so I am worried regarding this increasing above what I have been told is a maximum of 13.2Vac. Can anyone avise? If the voltage is too high, could I drop this with a series R in the output, say a 6W wirewound one? Would this be the best solution?

MF use a toroidal TX but I think I have read that standard types are preferable. I was looking at an 'audio-grade' 6-0-6V TX from Rapid, (88-3437). Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they preferable over toroidal types?

The supply to the X-LPS is 12V. Would there be any preference over using a 12V TX with the output windings in parallel to a 6V TX with them in series?

I'm guessing that the 12Vac output to the X-LPS is left floating, or should I ground one end or even ground the centre tap?

Many thanks in advance,

Little_Eddy.
Old 21st September 2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Transformer types for MF X-PSU clone

I've been looking at the same doing the same thing and have found this site that has a load of information on upgrades to the MF X series and others, hope its of help to you.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/index2.htm
Old 21st September 2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks Bizzie,

I had also seen the following forum string for the V3. Down the page 'Stormy' has a very nice looking PSU but my feeling is that he has compromised the design by using a toroidal TX in order to get it into the small extruded Hammond enclosure. http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/in...ead=1108578815

Regards,

Little Eddy.
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:43 PM

here's another tip, try a switch mode psu, bigger the ampage, the better.

within reason for the other, bigger the tx the better.

doen'st really matter what type, try both and see. as long as the volts are right.