World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 10th April 2017, 12:02 PM

Default Heybrook HB1 Renovation

I recently acquired a pair of these fine old speakers, Heybrook HB1. (Mine are serial number 011053). The cone surrounds were shot (not unusual) but all else appeared to be OK. However, I wanted to review the crossover and there came the problem.
It appeared difficult to obtain a diagram of the crossover. I finally found one and everything agreed with my actual crossover except that my actual resistor is rated at 15 Ohms, while the published circuit states 18 Ohms. I say "published" ...it is actually a freehand sketch by someone.

So, can anyone advise on this? I am hesitant to change what was implemented but I am curious as to the actual reason the resistor disagrees with the diagram. I have since found a diagram for a Series 2 crossover and there they are also showing an 18 Ohm resistor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossover-1.jpg (120.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by gbcambridge; 10th April 2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Product name error
Old 10th April 2017, 01:58 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Heybrook HB1 Renovation

Considering the small cost involved and your ears being the final arbiter, I would try both values and settle on the resistor that sounds best. Simples!
Old 10th April 2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Hi George
AH the HB1s remember them well
both maybe right i would try both the 15R and 18R
Will this help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HB1%20Mk3.jpg (29.5 KB, 37 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 10th April 2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 1st August 2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcambridge View Post
I recently acquired a pair of these fine old speakers, Heybrook HB1. (Mine are serial number 011053). The cone surrounds were shot (not unusual) but all else appeared to be OK. However, I wanted to review the crossover and there came the problem.
It appeared difficult to obtain a diagram of the crossover. I finally found one and everything agreed with my actual crossover except that my actual resistor is rated at 15 Ohms, while the published circuit states 18 Ohms. I say "published" ...it is actually a freehand sketch by someone.

So, can anyone advise on this? I am hesitant to change what was implemented but I am curious as to the actual reason the resistor disagrees with the diagram. I have since found a diagram for a Series 2 crossover and there they are also showing an 18 Ohm resistor!
The change from 15 to 18 Ohms was implemented in Series 2 onwards to accommodate a tiny change in the bass unit foam surround performance.

This change will suit the modern production of the Vifa bass unit so, if anyone replaces their bass units with new ones there may be a small benefit from changing the resistor to 18 Ohms.
Old 7th February 2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post
The change from 15 to 18 Ohms was implemented in Series 2 onwards to accommodate a tiny change in the bass unit foam surround performance.

This change will suit the modern production of the Vifa bass unit so, if anyone replaces their bass units with new ones there may be a small benefit from changing the resistor to 18 Ohms.
Bump.

Roughly when was this? I replaced my base units (in my glorious 38 year oold HB1s) some years (15 ish maybe) ago and just spotted this chat. Is it obvious if look at base units rear?

Thx
Old 28th December 2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Considering the small cost involved and your ears being the final arbiter, I would try both values and settle on the resistor that sounds best. Simples!
Indeed!!!
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804