World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 15th July 2010, 09:22 AM

Default David Gilmour On An Island

Now that the initial surge of reviews and mini reviews has died down over this album I'd like to add my thoughts to what is a stunning album. I bought this on vinyl when it first came out and listened to it again yesterday afternoon whilst relaxing at home. I initially ordered it from Diverse Vinyl but was disappointed to have not heard a single thing from them about its availability. This has happened before with Paul Weller's 'Studio 150' so I took the initiative and imported the LP from the States before it was availabile here in the UK.

Listening to it with some intent I find that it is a fine example of a beautiful melancholy reminisce over his past life and how he feels about things. It is clear on listening to this album that Gilmour is very aware that he now has a lot less time in front of him than that which has passed behind. I feel that this album is a summary, a summary of how things have gone and how he feels about the way things have gone.

The guitar playing is up to Gilmours usual standard and the close harmony vocals on the first track are to die for, courtesy of some of the greatest names in close harmony. I love this album and find it the perfect compliment to Pink Floyd's most famous stuff. The cardboard sleeve is impecable and smacks of serious quality and the pressing is just as good being largely silent in the background.

There, I've added my bit for what its worth.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 15th July 2010, 10:41 PM

Default Re: David Gilmour On An Island

Yes it is a great album, nice to listen to at night. I bought "Live In Gdansk" by Gilmour and found basically the whole Om an Island album on it, perfomed Live and performed beautifully. It really is an amazing Live album and worth buying even if you have "On an Island".
Old 5th August 2011, 08:01 AM

Agreed with you both..!!
Great album and good to listen it at night and I have also bought that album in which he lively performed excellent..But for me "On an Island" is far much better then that...!!
Old 5th August 2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
I initially ordered it from Diverse Vinyl but was disappointed to have not heard a single thing from them about its availability.
I didn't see this post initially, but wish to give a big thumbs up to the guys at Diverse Vinyl. I'm sure that they were being messed around by EMI or some other record company regarding a vinyl release of this album at the time. I know that they don't always keep customers informed, but they do send out a newsletter if you subscribe.

Great album on CD too.