World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 21st December 2008, 08:28 PM

Default the WD pre3

Congratulations to WD for coming up with an amp as natural sounding as the pre3. This amp is surely going to be something of a classic. I have never heard anything commercially available that is quite like this; certainly there is nothing in the shops to match it at anything like this price. All the detail of a passive with the dynamics of a powered pre. This is the best upgrade my system has seen for several years and has taken me quite by surprise, as I really was not expecting anything as good as this. Very straightforward to build as well, with clear step by step instructions and all parts well packed. Superb

Steve Grimshaw
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:01 AM

Default Re: the WD pre3

Yup, well said. The pre3 really IS that good !
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:50 PM

It gets even better with paper in oil capacitors, stepped attenuators and TJ Full Music ECC82 valves in it!!!

The great thing with a DIY kit is you know how it's built so it's easy enough to upgrade components.

Guy
Old 22nd December 2008, 05:30 PM

Steve,

Great, isn't it?

Welcome to the Pre 3 owners club and the satisfaction that we built it ourselves. I wonder how many of us have built the kits compared to buying them complete?

Tom
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:36 PM

Yes, this really is a very special sounding preamp even as standard. I may try paper in oils later on though I like the sound of the TJ Ecc82 valves. Whereabouts did you source yours from Guy? I have tried a pair of Mullard box anode Ecc82s from Watford Valves. Having heard these before I thought I must be onto a sure-fire winner with them as they really are superb valves fully deserving of their reputation but I am not too sure about them in this amp. This is no doubt a dreadful heresy to say this but I personally find them a bit sterile sounding in the pre3. All a matter of personal taste of course, but the mullards do seem to sound different in the pre3 to other amps where I have heard these been used. Something to do with the output transformers perhaps?

Steve Grimshaw
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:48 PM

Let me know if you want to part with them Steve!
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

It is indeed a wonderful Pre Steve. Quite surprised me how good and what a difference it made . You echo my findings about the valves, I posted similar a while back. I too tried the usually superb box anode Mullards but found exactly as you do, somewhat lifeless in this app. The supplied JJs sound very good but one of mine was noisy so I gave both to my friend Gerry, as one of his was noisy too, so at least he has a good pair! I tried some others and found short plate standard type Mullards and Thorn GB (Mazda) are superb.

Rich
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:09 PM

Are you all comparing to the Pre II? Is it possible to convert the PSU II and Pre II to Pre 3?

Adrian
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:09 PM

Default Re: the WD pre3 & valves

I've tried a range of valves too. The supplied JJ valves are very difficult to beat. eg. CV4003 were no better. I've settled on some Telefunken's (cryogenically treated) - give better imaging than anything else I've tried.

True class of a component is providing a convincing (huge) sound stage and being able to sustain front-to-back separation. Pre3 can do this (the other components have to be as good too). In my system I can hear 3-4 layers like this no problem (depends on source too of course).
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddam View Post
Are you all comparing to the Pre II? Is it possible to convert the PSU II and Pre II to Pre 3?

Adrian
Yes, and no!

The PSU can easily be converted. The pre 3 is a different design to the pre 2, but can fit into the same case (I think!)

My Pre 3 is in an old KLP 1 case, if anyone remembers that original incarnation of the WAD pre amps.

The comments about the Mullards are valid. My experience has been Siemens are better than Mullard, Telefunken better still and the newly released TJ Full Music ECC82s (12AX7s) outshine them all.

They can be sourced from Hi Fi Collective (am I allowed to mention them on this site?!), together with the superb ECC83s for the pre 3 which I raved about on here a while ago. They source them from DIY Hi Fi supply in China.

They've just had a shipment in today, so you may not find them on the web site and may have to call.

As signal valves go, they aren't cheap, but are comparable in price to NOS Siemens and cheaper than NOS Telefunken.

Guy