World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 4th January 2009, 11:45 AM

Default Anyone compared WD88VA to Quad II-Forty or Prima Luna

Has anyone compared the Quad II-Forty or any of the Prima Lunas with the WD88VA? I would be interested to read the resulting opinions.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 4th January 2009, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone compared WD88VA to Quad II-Forty or Prima Luna

Hi Dave,

Have not heard the Quad.

However, in auditioning new speakers in Oxford, I was able to listen to the Prima KT88 integrated (I forget the exact model number) and what that could do with my chosen speakers.

Having got the new speakers home, and with a lot of disclaimers about different sources and all of that, all I can say is that I am more than happy with my WD88 XL. It would be difficult I guess to get a direct A/B, but all I can say is that I am pretty confident the WD amp would see off the Prima KT88 integrated.

Not really much help I know, but for what its worth, I think the WD88 is at least as good as the equivallent Prima, and very probably very much better (IMHO of course).

Interestingly though, I also heard my chosen speakers against a high-up-in-the-range Unison Research SE valve amp. It was my first go with a SE and all I would add (given that in this case the source and the speakers were identical) is that I thought the Prima had a much better hold on the music. I had thought that the U.R. amp would be brilliant (given their cost) but I concluded that I would rather buy a Prima given the choice (FOR ME).

In that end, I reckon the WD88XL is fantastic value....and would be my choice over the Prima and U.R. SE amp.

Ok, I'll keep my head down now......;-)

Nick
Old 4th January 2009, 09:28 PM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting your opinions.
I have actually heard the WD88VA at the WD demo room. I thought it sounded better with the Pre3 driving it rather than as an integrated. I have also heard the PL1 a few years ago, however I don't think I could realistically compare the two due to the time and system differences. The problem is that I took some of my SS amps with me for the WD demo and now I wish I had taken my valve amps instead. I don't think it is fair to book another demo because I will be building an Aikido preamp soon in preference to the Pre3 - not because the Pre3 is not good but because I want to include remote control (N/A with the Pre3 at the time) and I want a 1 box solution in black.

I've never heard the II-Fortys but they seem very well reviewed. I would only consider these 2nd hand because they're rather pricey new. This also means it's tricky to get a demo. The other issues with the Quads in the silly layout - with the connectors on the side of the amps.

The PL is by far the best looking, but I suspect it will not be the best sounding. Also the PL5 seems to have about £100 worth more bits in it than the PL4 but costs £300 more - I suppose that's commercial pricing/markups for you.

More opnions welcome!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 5th January 2009, 11:27 AM

Hi Dave,
I actually run my WD88 from a Pre3 now - and one day may get round to removing the volume control from the WD88 (at the moment is left at the roughly 2/3 full volume position).
The Pre3 certainly makes it better, but the real advantage for me is that it can drive fairly long cables between the Pre3 and the WD88.
Anyway, good luck and hope you find what you're looking for.
regards, Nick
Old 5th January 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Hi Dave,
but the real advantage for me is that it can drive fairly long cables between the Pre3 and the WD88.
Nick

That was the decider for me ! Having "prototype" (sounds posh !) amps on the floor means long interconnects.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.