World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 31st December 2006, 08:51 PM

Default Usb sound card

I have been thinking of buying a usb soundcard so I can record my records onto my laptop and tranfer to CD and DVDA.
I want to be able to record at the highest possible rate to try and preserve the vinyl sound so I did a search and found this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...oduct_id/15384
Does anyone know if its any good.
Old 1st January 2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Usb sound card

Might be a useful info.

About a year or so ago I bought the M-Audio Transit USB, which I have found to do fine job for what I need. I paid about £70 plus delivery, so this one seems like a good deal, but then hi-tech always comes down in price over time.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Old 1st January 2007, 10:10 AM

I have just gone through an evaluation process for this myself and found that under £200 the E-MU 0202 was the best followed by the E-MU 0404 (which has more features like phantom power built in). Both are USB 2 and can handle stereo 24bit/192KHz bi-directionally.

James
Old 1st January 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi James

Do you have a view on the comparison between the E-Mu 0202 and the M-Audio 24/96 PCI card?

I use the M-Audio at the moment and will be changing in a few weeks.

Is the USB solution definitely to be preferred? I think I would like to get the DAC/ADC outside the computer.

Mark
Old 1st January 2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D View Post
I have just gone through an evaluation process for this myself and found that under £200 the E-MU 0202 was the best followed by the E-MU 0404 (which has more features like phantom power built in). Both are USB 2 and can handle stereo 24bit/192KHz bi-directionally.

James
I thought the spec looked quite good as all the others I've looked at will only record at 24bit/96khz and I really want to record at the highest level possible.

The trouble is sometimes the highest spec does not always work out the best solution and thats why I asked if anyone had used one.
Old 1st January 2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
This Link may be of interest usb converter http://diyparadise.com/usb.html

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 1st January 2007, 04:42 PM

Mark,

Recently John Atwood has been measuring soundcards and comparing how they perform. He has recently published the E-MU 1616m results in this series of tests elsewhere (unfortunately not on an open forum) and the E-MU outperformed the cards shown here. My tests used the 1616m as a baseline system and I preferred the 0202 to the 1616 (which was a surprise!). I would expect the E-Mu to outperform the M-Audio measurably and sonically. My son has a M-Audio Audiophile USB for comparision and it isn't that close to the E-MU except on 16 bit 44.1kHz where it is almost the equal.

Getting the ADC/DAC out of the computer is to be preferred at this price level (and probably at all price points..) as there is no budget for proper shielding and rf interference suspression on the power rails and also mechanical vibration...

In theory Firewire has an advantage over USB2 in that it does less processing of the signal over the link but the E-Mu cards which are USB 2 only, outperform the equivalent Firewire cards so implementation still counts more. Don't buy a USB1.1 card now-a-days - the link is too slow and system latencies are too high.

If you need a clincher the software pack with the E-Mu beasties is second-to-none

Bizzie,

There are reports on some of the prof. audio forums of the 24bit/192kHz mode not being 100% solid on all systems - I have found it fine with my laptops but it seems not all motherboards and i/o chipsets are happy to run stereo 24/192 with full duplex.

Colin,

That one is a DAC only - Bizzie needs the ADC (analogue to digital converter) to record from other sources too.

As an aside, testing yesterday showed that the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic when used as a general purpose mic is almost the equal of an AKG C1000. Considering the three times price difference the ECM8000 is a bargin and its calabrated for measurement use too

James
Old 1st January 2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D View Post

Bizzie,

There are reports on some of the prof. audio forums of the 24bit/192kHz mode not being 100% solid on all systems - I have found it fine with my laptops but it seems not all motherboards and i/o chipsets are happy to run stereo 24/192 with full duplex.

James
Thanks James
This is the sort of information I was after, specs don't always tell the full story.
Am I right in thinking that if it wouldn't work at 24bit/192khz with my computer I could lower the sample rate to one it is happy with, I really would like to use the higher rate but don't want to end up with something that I can't use at all.
Old 1st January 2007, 07:17 PM

I'm going for the creative after reading other reviews on it, you can pick it up for around £50. When I come to build a p.c. again, which may be a while.

I don't know if it will suit your needs tho'.

Last edited by Ianm2; 1st January 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 1st January 2007, 07:55 PM

Bizzie,

Running the E-Mu at 24/96 should be no problem at all.

James