World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 23rd October 2022, 07:55 PM

Default Goodbye to an old friend.

I have to confess to being an inveterate hoarder.

More than thirty years ago, due to altering circumstances, I packed up my now-redundant Kenwood amplifier. But on the basis that one day it might come in handy, even if I never used it, I kept it as it was a quality bit of kit but did not really expect to use it again.

However, times change and things go downhill, including my ageing valves - amplifier, mercifully not cardiac - so I have estimated the cost of replacement. Going to Watford Valves and swapping like-for-like with my current collection, I'm astonished to discover that the bill for replacing the eight valves is likely to exceed £600. This is not far short of what I paid for the whole KIT !!

Given that I'm now as deaf as a post and need to listen with hearing aids which play hell with the flat response curve so expensively acquired, there is little point in spending this amount of money. Sadly, the WAD will go into a permanent hibernation as I become grateful that I kept the Kenwood.

Not sure why I find this a particularly sad experience, after all I have been changing things for years, such is the nature of our business, but I shall miss a fine piece of equipment. Nevertheless, I retain the companionship of the speakers I have enjoyed since 1967 and which will remember many hours with the Kenwood.

Sic transit and all that . . . .
Old 24th October 2022, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Goodbye to an old friend.

Sorry to hear your circumstances Baggo, at just a few months' time I will be 70 and my hearing is not as good as it once was with almost continua's tinnitus, but I do have some good days and still listen to my music. Keep smiling and think of the better days we had. Bob PS Watford valves have been off my list of suppliers for years, I now use Hot-Rox recommended by our Richard.
Old 24th October 2022, 09:16 PM

Thank you, Bob.

I'll try Hot-Rox (I have to say the name hasn't much appeal!) in the hope that they may be able to offer things at a price sufficiently reduced to enable me to remain in the thermionic world which I have enjoyed for more than 65 years.
Old 24th October 2022, 09:36 PM

Which Wad amp are you using Baggy and what valves does it need?
Old 24th October 2022, 10:12 PM
WD Archivist

From memory, I believe 6550.
Old 25th October 2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Thank you, Bob.

I'll try Hot-Rox (I have to say the name hasn't much appeal!) in the hope that they may be able to offer things at a price sufficiently reduced to enable me to remain in the thermionic world which I have enjoyed for more than 65 years.
Agree with the choice of name, but the service is good and the prices are better than Watford, my last encounter with the latter was for four KT88's, they arrived but I did not open the package for some time, they were put safely in a draw, latter I opened the package to fit them, and one was cracked, on contacting Watford they said I should have reported this issue immediately and refused to replace it, I responded with - stick your services up your rectum. Bob
Old 25th October 2022, 08:09 AM

Hot-Rox, £192.00 for four JJ 6550, Matthew £170.00 for four JJ KT88 . Bob
Old 25th October 2022, 09:03 PM

Well, maybe things are not as dire as I first suspected. But thanks for your interest, Bob.

The ECF80s are pretty new and no doubt will see me out. The rectifiers will go on for a bit yet but the outputs, which were fitted in America fifteen years ago, have done extraordinarily well but now have reached the end of the road. As Greg correctly remembered, these are 6550s which, when I could tell the difference, I preferred to KTs. Some years ago, there was talk of Tung Sols again being manufactured in the States, but I think this has come to nothing. However, I have been pleased with the Russian Tung Sols and will be content to have them again. Besides, I suspect some of the modern KTs are but 6L6s in drag - the two are not the same.

So, having recovered from my initial panic and spread my interest beyond Watford Valves, I note that the Hot people have a handful at £240 which, comparatively, might seem reasonable but it remains an absurdly substantial sum and still rankles when I remember that one could obtain a KT66 from Laskys in Edgeware Road for 18/4d. The only problem then - apart from finding the money - was negotiating the wet tram lines at Marble Arch on a motorbike.

Perhaps the WAD will live to fight another day, providing I can continue to subsidise its voracious consumption. Thank goodness I've not been gulled into a so-called smart meter.
Old 26th October 2022, 12:33 PM

Well, here is my take on the JJ valves Baggo, on my WA88 I used Svetlana winged C three times, then the price went very high, so I moved over to the JJ's, I am still using them today and the price was a factor, they are, in my opinion very good. Bob
Old 27th October 2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Well, here is my take on the JJ valves Baggo, on my WA88 I used Svetlana winged C three times, then the price went very high, so I moved over to the JJ's, I am still using them today and the price was a factor, they are, in my opinion very good. Bob
I tried using new JJ EL34 in my KEL34, I was quite happy with them until I heard Shuguang EL34 in a friends Ming Da amp alongside my KEL34 - we swapped the Shuguang EL34 into the KEL34, what a difference, more transparent, more detail - the JJs sounded dull in comparison. Needless to say I have changed to Shuguang EL34.

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow