World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 11th November 2011, 02:36 AM

Default Simple diy horn speakers

I am thinking about building a pair of horn speakers, is it possible to build something simple (no great woodworking skills required) which is still going to sound good?
Old 11th November 2011, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Simple diy horn speakers

What about these :

http://www.frugal-horn.com/

Simple and elegant. Flast-pack kits are available depending where in the world you are located. Lots of DIY horn speakers featured on the Planet10 web pages from which the above link is referenced.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/
Old 11th November 2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the links will check this out, i have also came across plans etc. for zigmahornets, anyone have any experience of these. They certainly look straightforward to build, but how good do they sound?

I also came across the Tang Band DC4 kit which is even more simple i.e flat pack furniture! anyone built/heard these?, are they worth the investment
Old 12th November 2011, 02:16 PM

I've not heard any good reports on those TB kits. I also don't know of anyone who has built the zigmahornets. Perhaps someone on the DiyAdio Fullrange forum pages may have and hjas given feedback. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/

The FH3 I linked to can be bought as a flat-pack kit for home assembly.
If you're interested PM me through this forum. I have a UK Licence to make the FH3 flat packs.

I think first and foremost you need to decide which FR driver(s) and what size. That will dictate which BLH designs are out there suitable to that driver.
I'd look at the Tang Band range, Fostex and Mark Audio as the three prime FR drivers out there now. Also look at the Jordan offerings and if you're feeling flush then the Lowthers.

Last edited by Toppsy; 12th November 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12th November 2011, 04:20 PM

I have some open baffle speakers using Visaton B200's from 200hz up. You'd be welcome to come and have a listen.
Old 12th November 2011, 07:56 PM

I may just take you up on that as well Thanks again
Old 13th November 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I may just take you up on that as well Thanks again
If that refers to the FH3 flat pack kit fine.

As an aside I also have for sale a pair of Mark Audio CHR70 gen2 drivers that have only been run-in for around 15-hrs and a pair of Mark Audio CHP70 brand new and unused.

Both these are ideal for the FH3 horn loaded speakers as well as the Pensils.

Again pm me and we talk prices.
Old 13th November 2011, 08:22 PM

Toppsy
Thanks for all the info, pm you'll have to tell me how to do this one!

Ali, if i ever sort out the pm issue i will pm you, i think a chat and a pick at your brains would be very useful!

Just as a general note and given i currently run a pair of Celestion A3's, i assume the driver choice is going very impoprtant?

The A3 are fairly heavyweight bass, i never really considered myself as a basshead but there you have it. The A3's have fantastic bass extension no need for a sub etc, midrange is excellent and the top is now very sweet and detailed thanks to the Icon.

Q. What can i expect to hear from speakers such as the fh3, stupid question i suppose, but if you don't ask.

My musical taste is stupidly varied, lots of new folk elelctronica, European folk such as Kepa Junkera, Zappa, lots and lots of jazz, from Davis to Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Caravan, The Gotan Project, calexico, some new finds including Bon Iver and Active Child, ambient by the bucket load and off course Jimmy Shand! the list is literally endless

Should i build a pair sit back and be amamzed or?
Old 13th November 2011, 08:48 PM

Rivendell,

to send a PM you need to be logged in to the forum then simply click on the person username and a drop down list of options appears. Click on the "Send a Private Message to *****" option and up pops a dialogue box.

Simples.

I think you will quite taken aback the clarity and sound from a FH3 speaker with single 4" FR driver. Soundstage is very good. Bass will amaze from such a small driver and they will suit your taste in music very well. Go over to Audio-Talk forum pages (Speakers) and/or DiyAdio forum pages (Fullrange speakers) and read the feedback from many a builder of this speaker.

I would say you'd have to pay well over £600 and nearer £1k to get a similar sound from anything commercial and then I still believe the FH3 would win out. They are little tradis machines.
Old 13th November 2011, 09:03 PM

Toppsy

thanks for the info will try to pm you later or tomorrow, what driver would you recommend given my taste in music and your experience