World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 26th July 2006, 03:57 PM

Default KNOSTI Record Cleaner

Has anyone had any experience with this record cleaner. Looks simple and may be good?

http://www.coolgales.com/store/cart....category_id=52

JT
Old 26th July 2006, 04:24 PM

Default Re: KNOSTI Record Cleaner

Its pretty good as a get you going record cleaner.

The clamp doesn't tend to protect the edges of record labels which can be a problem and its easy to waste liquid transfering it in and out of the bath. Oh and the records take forever to dry properly. On the plus side though it does clean the records well and I haven't found a better liquid to clean records with.

I used it for a while then made a moth record cleaner and I still use the liquid instead of isopropyl.

Hope all this is useful,

Alex
Old 26th July 2006, 04:33 PM
WD Archivist

This has been discussed before. Some think this cleaner is good and others don't. I tried it, was not impressed and returned it for my money back. I now use an Okki Nokki, much dearer I know, but I'm very pleased with it.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 26th July 2006, 04:33 PM

I have one, and I recommend that you give them a miss.

I have found that there is a minor improvement in surface noise after use, but the thing seems to redistribute the **** more evenly at the bottom of the groove more that anything else.

When your record surface appears to be dry you will find that the sludge at the bottom of the groove is not, and this cakes your stylus with crud.

At the moment I just use a carbon fibre brush, along with a carbon fibre stylus brush.
The stylus brush I got from Practical Hi-Fi for £12.00, and it works a treat.

Chris
Old 26th July 2006, 04:37 PM

Ive found it works ok .It certainly made some of my uncleaned records much more listenable.Easy to use and ok for the money in my opinion.
Dave.
Old 26th July 2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davron
Ive found it works ok .It certainly made some of my uncleaned records much more listenable.Easy to use and ok for the money in my opinion.
Dave.
I'd agree, but as Stratmangler also says, it does leave a residue that 'proper' record cleaners will suck off.
Old 26th July 2006, 04:55 PM

Any record cleaner that wets the record tries to put the dirt into suspension in the liquid. The success of this operation depends on the liquid used and whether any mechanical aid (ie brushes) is given. Once the dirt is in suspension, if the record is left to dry it will simply be redistibuted evenly across the record, and may be glued down by less volatile residues of the liquid. Better to remove the liquid by suction if possible, taking the dirt with it.
Old 26th July 2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Any record cleaner that wets the record tries to put the dirt into suspension in the liquid. The success of this operation depends on the liquid used and whether any mechanical aid (ie brushes) is given. Once the dirt is in suspension, if the record is left to dry it will simply be redistibuted evenly across the record, and may be glued down by less volatile residues of the liquid. Better to remove the liquid by suction if possible, taking the dirt with it.
Couldn't agree more. Used a Knosti on 40 discs - 15 play well but the rest needed recleaning with a Moth before they were consistently playable. A friend gets good results from two Knosti - one used as described and a second with deionised water to get rid of the crud. Works well for him - but then he leaves the discs for hours before he considers them dry enough to bag up.

I'm happy with the Moth - although I've used the Knosti as pre treatment on a couple of charity shop bargains which were very dirty and the combination was very effective. The Moth lets me clean and play in a sensible time frame.

Your choice,

Jerry
Old 26th July 2006, 08:48 PM
WD Archivist

Cleaning records is a time consumming process if you're slowly working through a collection. The double Knosti approach has also been addressed by Russ Andrews who sells a Knosti, but with his own cleaning solution and a second solution for rinsing. It'll cost you more though

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 26th July 2006, 08:52 PM

I have a vaccum one, makes a hell of a racket and takes an age. I haven't the time patience or nerve to clean my collection, just give the odd record a treat.

Someone should invent an ultrasonic record cleaner, I haven't the time, but it would be the best way to clean records, and I'd buy one.