World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th October 2022, 02:11 PM

Default KiT 6550 Hum

I thought I would test the valve amplifier waters with a second-hand purchase from ebay with a KiT 6550. Having assembled it by pushing the valves into the holes and switching it on for the first time there is a definite hum/buzz emanating from it. At first switch on it sounds a bit like an electric loco powering up. If I put my hand on the surface in front of the transformer there is also a vibration that can be felt.

As I said, I have never owned a valve amp before but I do not think this is as it should be. I can hear the hum/buzz from across the room.

I have played some music through it and it sounds pretty good from both channels. If I turn it up loud enough I can't hear the hum/buzz either! It hummed/buzzed without a source plugged into it also.

Can anybody suggest me a course of action to track down the source of the hum/buzz and eliminate it? I am quite a novice at tinkering with hi fi, but can probably work my way through it with some help. Reading through other posts, I believe that it may not necessarily be the transformer at fault.

Can anybody please give me some help and guidance?

Tags
6550, buzz, hum