World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 2nd December 2013, 09:47 PM

Default WD PRE3 tape loop issue

Hello all,

I have only just noticed this issue as it has been ages since I have hooked up my trusty Luxman tapedeck. What happens is that if I have the tape deck connected to the output from the PRE3 I have the usual record levels showing on the LED meters of the deck, (if for instance I am recording from my FM tuner).

If I then connect the line out leads from the deck to the tape input on the Pre3, the apparent recording levels drop considerably on the LED meters (12-15Db). What is odd is that in reality the record level is maintained because on playback the levels return to where I would expect them. The only real issue is not being able to accurately monitor the recording levels as I am recording. I did a google search and found one guy with a similar problem with a recording device connected to a valve preamp, but no replies to his post:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geeks...mer-issue.html

Can any of you shed any light?

Best regards,

Phil
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:01 AM

Default Re: WD PRE3 tape loop issue

Hi Phil, is your Luxman a three head or a two head?, are you connecting the record leads from tape out of pre 3? or the output that should go to the power amp?, I use a Nakamichi LX3 (two head) on my pre, no problems, if connected correctly, however a three head machine, if set to tape monitor, or automatic will not be able to give ( off tape monitoring,). With the recorder in record mode switching the pre to tape will give feedback, but this will push the record meters of the scale and produce a holing sound. Let us know how you have it connected. BOB
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:18 AM

Hi bob,
I connect the record input sockets of my tape deck to the tape output from the pre3, not to output 1 or 2 which should go to power amp. The deck I have is a 2 head deck, and by monitoring I meant setting the record levels so that the sound meters do not go too far into the red. I can connect tape deck to pre3 and record successfully from whichever source I select, but if I connect the line output from the deck to the pre3, even while recording, the LED level meters drop significantly, just as if I had turned down the record level control.

What is odd is that even though it appears the record levels are low, upon playback they are fine.

Cheers Phil.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:43 AM

Well Phil, that's got me puzzled, my only advice at the moment is can you try another tape deck, if the situation is the same it may be the pre 3, any one else any thoughts BOB